R.A.I.D.!?! (And all the insects explode)

=[Ga]= AutoDMC

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
1,113
I'm one of those guys who does so much due diligence when working on other people's computers that when it comes to mine I make stupid mistakes, and one of those stupid mistakes was the Promise Fasttrack "RAID" card I installed.

It said "Hardware* RAID**" on the box!

D:

It's actually a software raid with a hardware XOR unit. While XOR is one of the harder bits of RAID to compute, it's not really Hardware RAID, now is it!?

And now that I'm shifting over to Ubuntu Linux (got tired to banging my head into X on Gentoo... for another time, is Gentoo suckier lately? I used to be able to install it in my sleep) from Windows Vista (not because Vista sucks, but because Vista is boring)... my RAID array ain't a RAID array any more. It's "four SATA 500MB hard drives"

D:

So, I'm going to repair my Winduhs partition (the Windows insult required now that I'm running Linux) and pull my data off the RAID, then... do something with it...

I don't need 4 separate 500GB harddrives. I need one honkin' harddrive for all my files to be upon. 'Tis why I had RAID 5.

So... either...

I need to find a real honest-to-God Hardware RAID controller that runs on Windows (and a buyer for my current card... sucker!)... or...

I need a Linux solution to my storage problem. Again, I don't want 4 harddrives. I want one big partition spread over my drives. I have stand alone root hard drive for my OS, but I want my /home paritition to run on the array... or whatever I end up with.

Any ideas?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top