Graphics Card Upgrade? (Vote!!)

What card??

  • ATI 4780

    Points: 14 73.7%
  • NVIDIA 260

    Points: 5 26.3%

  • Total voters
    19
  • Poll closed .

Munkypoo7

Active Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2008
Messages
398
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Video Card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4151721&CatId=3775

OR

Diamond Radeon HD 4870 Video Card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4037096&CatId=3669
--------

On a Side note, i have a crossfire ready motherboard, so maybe thats a plus for the ati..... else id be stuck with the one nvidia card? idk idk
Also a 600W psu... q6600, 4 gb ram, only 1 hdd (sata), 2 dvd burners... and um, thats about it..


PS> Can crossfire work with 2 DIFFERENT graphics card models, like a 4850 and a 4870? ALSO> I HATE TIGERDIRECT...but, parents are offering this as a freebee, so i dont care (newegg ftw ^^)

----
Please post WHY you voted the way you did, that would be extremely helpful, thank you :)
 
Last edited:
well first the 4870 will probaly blow the 260 out of the water and if you pop in another 4870 the only one card i think that could beet that setup would probaly be a 4870x2 :D
 
The way I understand it, is the same family will work with each other. Like the 4800's work together, the 3800's do, etc. So, yeah. A 4870 should work with a 4850.
 
sorry about the poll, i put 4780 instead of 4870, but it is meant to be 4870... hope i didnt confuzzle anyone :\
 
"So the GTX260 is better than the 4870 now? "

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1369069

You've got a CrossFire motherboard, might as well go with the 4870. And yes, you can CF a 4850 and 4870. It'd be quite worthless though, a 4870 can handle 1920 x 1200 with AA quite easily. No need to pair it with a slower card.
 
I will always be a fan of nVIDIA no matter what :)
I just like their graphics cards, even if experts say they are horrible.
 
Their cards arent 'horrible'. ATi were the ones playing catch-up through most of the G80 and G92 series. Its only now that they've got a competitive range of cards. Since nV dropped the prices on the old 260 192 SP model, its a better buy now over the 4870 512 version.

From the link i posted, 2nd page, to put it simply:

4870 512 < GTX 260 (192) < GTX 260 (216) = 4870 1G
 
ATi's 4870 Totally worth every penny as their down to 239, Great core speeds, and 800 Stream processors
 
Price for the 4870 just got knocked down 50 bucks with a MIR, 4870... here i come! :D

Thanks guys ^^
 
Sadly, the GTX260S16 comes REALLY close to the 4870. But, the 4870 is generally cheaper, and you already have a crossfire motherboard.

And to answer your Crossfire question, I know for sure that you can mix any cards from the same family (eg: 4870x2 and a 4850), and I'm 90% sure that you can mix cards from the same generation as well (eg: 4870x2 and a 4670).

I'd choose the 4870.

~Gooda~
 
Bumpy, just hooked it up, and... HOLY CRAP!!! Its so freaking purdy, gonna start esting crysis warhead and a few other games!! :D

Came with my antec 900 case which btw is quiet as heck, hello night gaming! :D
 
Nicely done. I wish I could upgrade my card, but it seems like yesterday that I got mine, sooo.
 
ATI has the market right now so I would recommend the ATI card. It won't be too long until nVidia catches up again though. My dad's friend works at ATI and employees have been being laid off. :/ I really hope nVidia makes a better card soon because I'm just waiting for a new card then I'm upgrading my rig.
 
First off, ATI was the top of the line back in the day. Then Nvidia broke away with superior gpu architecture. Now they are about even but only because Nvidia let its guard down. The ATI 4870 is better than the Nvidia 260 but not better than the Nvidia 280. However, the 4870 is a better deal when it comes to price. By next year Nvidia may blow ATI out of the water yet again.
 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Nvidia.
At the moment, they're just slightly more expensive, therefore leaning towards ATI.

Also, don't trust anyone who says that the 4870X2 is the best card, hands doubt, guaranteed. Most games don't take full advantage of the multicore GPUs, and while I realize that you're buying the regular 4870, don't believe those devi-... ATI preaching madmen.
 
Right now at this point even though you already bought the 4870 this is just word to the wise. Stay away from nVidia until they fix their gpu problem. Between 15 to 75 million gpu's could be effected and nVidia really isn't saying exactly what cards could be bad. Its kinda of a wait and see thing. I picked up a GTX260 and love it (I also have a sli board) but there is a chance that I could have a bad card. I would wait for their next series of cards before going and purchasing a nVidia card. On the other hand nVidia tends to have better support with drivers and linux support.

Story:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GPU-failure,6248.html

While its unlikely that any desktop units are bad it would be smart to just sit back and wait till they know for sure.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top