Vent

vote for pedro

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Messages
4,014
Well i have this weird problem with vent. My ping will be like 80 then jump up to 19,000 and come back down. I lag out all the time. I dont think its my Internet because i never lag out in game, and when i talk to DJsatan over steam friends (with mic) he says i sound fine. I have tried deleting Vent then re-installing...spyware checking...everything.... Any help?
 
You can try forwarding the port that the edgegamers (this will only work for edgegamers) uses for ventrilo?

Forward this port: 29272

See if that helps.
 
Pedro,

You mention you don't log out in games, but do you still experience any spikes in response time?
Is this problem recent or has it been persistent for a while?

What OS do you use? Do you run your spyware and AV programs before starting Vent? Do you run a person or software firewall on your PC (ala Microsoft or Zonealarm)?

Another thing to check is the following:

- Open a Windows command prompt. (If XP, Start, Run, Command Prompt. If Vista, Start, type "cmd" in the search box.)
- Open Vent and try to connect.
- Go to the command prompt window and type, without quotes: "netstat -a -f"
- Try and find a line with "29272" in it. That's the TCP port number used by Vent to connect to the eGO server. I'm interested to know the status in the right-most column.

If you're not quite confident about typing an unknown command, you can type "netstat help" before typing what I suggested or you can Google the command. It lists all the open network connections on your PC.
 
Pedro,

You mention you don't log out in games, but do you still experience any spikes in response time?
Is this problem recent or has it been persistent for a while?

What OS do you use? Do you run your spyware and AV programs before starting Vent? Do you run a person or software firewall on your PC (ala Microsoft or Zonealarm)?

Another thing to check is the following:

- Open a Windows command prompt. (If XP, Start, Run, Command Prompt. If Vista, Start, type "cmd" in the search box.)
- Open Vent and try to connect.
- Go to the command prompt window and type, without quotes: "netstat -a -f"
- Try and find a line with "29272" in it. That's the TCP port number used by Vent to connect to the eGO server. I'm interested to know the status in the right-most column.

If you're not quite confident about typing an unknown command, you can type "netstat help" before typing what I suggested or you can Google the command. It lists all the open network connections on your PC.

I do not experience any lag spikes anywhere else. This has also been an on-going problem for at least 1 month. I run Vista, and run AVG almost every night.

I tried your cmd thing. There was no TCP "29272" number. lol how can i fix this?
 
Pedro,

Not to doubt you, but try the netstat command again (with or without the -f. Doesn't matter. "-f" just tries to list the FQDN of each IP address, where possible). Really be sure you don't see the 29272 number.

If you're very sure, then the problem is local to your PC. Why? Because that command shows all the "open" TCP/IP connections to and from your computer. The column on the far right would show at what stage the "handshake" between your PC and remote Vent server would be.

If you don't even show it being listed (with something like "waiting" on the far right) then this means your PC isn't even initializing an open TCP socket on your local PC.

I notice you say this has been a problem for a month. Does this mean it worked two months ago and just started being a problem a month ago? If true, do you remember installing anything about a month ago? Something that would interfere or change your IP stack at all?

If there really is a problem with your IP stack, there are some techniques we can use to fix it. But they can be messy and are often problematic.

Instead, I'm hoping there's just a program that we can uninstall. I also notice you didn't answer my firewall question. Are you running a software firewall? If so, what is it and what version?
 
Pedro,

Not to doubt you, but try the netstat command again (with or without the -f. Doesn't matter. "-f" just tries to list the FQDN of each IP address, where possible). Really be sure you don't see the 29272 number.

If you're very sure, then the problem is local to your PC. Why? Because that command shows all the "open" TCP/IP connections to and from your computer. The column on the far right would show at what stage the "handshake" between your PC and remote Vent server would be.

If you don't even show it being listed (with something like "waiting" on the far right) then this means your PC isn't even initializing an open TCP socket on your local PC.

I notice you say this has been a problem for a month. Does this mean it worked two months ago and just started being a problem a month ago? If true, do you remember installing anything about a month ago? Something that would interfere or change your IP stack at all?

If there really is a problem with your IP stack, there are some techniques we can use to fix it. But they can be messy and are often problematic.

Instead, I'm hoping there's just a program that we can uninstall. I also notice you didn't answer my firewall question. Are you running a software firewall? If so, what is it and what version?

He said he runs AVG.
 
Pedro,

Not to doubt you, but try the netstat command again (with or without the -f. Doesn't matter. "-f" just tries to list the FQDN of each IP address, where possible). Really be sure you don't see the 29272 number.

If you're very sure, then the problem is local to your PC. Why? Because that command shows all the "open" TCP/IP connections to and from your computer. The column on the far right would show at what stage the "handshake" between your PC and remote Vent server would be.

If you don't even show it being listed (with something like "waiting" on the far right) then this means your PC isn't even initializing an open TCP socket on your local PC.

I notice you say this has been a problem for a month. Does this mean it worked two months ago and just started being a problem a month ago? If true, do you remember installing anything about a month ago? Something that would interfere or change your IP stack at all?

If there really is a problem with your IP stack, there are some techniques we can use to fix it. But they can be messy and are often problematic.

Instead, I'm hoping there's just a program that we can uninstall. I also notice you didn't answer my firewall question. Are you running a software firewall? If so, what is it and what version?

OK, im am sorry i was looking in the wrong place. I do see the port number 29272. and to the right it says "established"

um trying to think of any programs i have installed that might interfere with Vent, at the moment i cant. But i will look into it, thanks so much!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top