- Joined
- Mar 7, 2008
- Messages
- 995
Today I was playing Left 4 Dead and suddenly my computer just locked up. Whatever sound was played last kept looping over and over again, and blue lines went across the screen. I restarted the computer thinking it was a just a one time problem but it occurs when playing any game. This wasn't happening yesterday. I have had no problems with the computer for over a year now.
After a restart, the artifacts on the screen remain, the computer reverts back to its original resolution (640x480). nTune reports no video card present. If I restart again, the artifacts disappear and everything starts up as normal. I ran a stability test on the GPU and the first time it failed, second time it passed. After it passed, I tried to play another game (Fallout 3 this time) and the problem happened again. Since this did not happen yesterday, I tried a last ditch effort to System Restore to yesterday to try again but to no avail. So now I think that it is a Video problem. The time it passed the stress test, the GPU temp stayed at 70-74C.
Any ideas (short of swapping hardware components)?
System Specs
CPU - Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66
GPU - GeForce 8800 GTS (640)
MB - nForce 680i SLI (A1)
RAM - 2 GB Corsair XMS (800mhz)
PSU - Corsair HX 620 Watt
After a restart, the artifacts on the screen remain, the computer reverts back to its original resolution (640x480). nTune reports no video card present. If I restart again, the artifacts disappear and everything starts up as normal. I ran a stability test on the GPU and the first time it failed, second time it passed. After it passed, I tried to play another game (Fallout 3 this time) and the problem happened again. Since this did not happen yesterday, I tried a last ditch effort to System Restore to yesterday to try again but to no avail. So now I think that it is a Video problem. The time it passed the stress test, the GPU temp stayed at 70-74C.
Any ideas (short of swapping hardware components)?
System Specs
CPU - Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66
GPU - GeForce 8800 GTS (640)
MB - nForce 680i SLI (A1)
RAM - 2 GB Corsair XMS (800mhz)
PSU - Corsair HX 620 Watt








