If you are having software computer problems - virus/spyware/etc

mrcool

EGO Addict
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
1,283
I've only been a member for a bit here, but it seems a lot of effort is spent on helping people who have problems with their computers. While I don't have any problem helping people, too often the first post for help is not detailed enough, leaving us asking the person who is looking for help a bunch of questions. I thought maybe we could offer a "try all of these, then if you still need help, let us know" type of a solution.

If an application/popups are stealing focus from your game, causing it to minimize, try to get a screen shot of the popup by hitting [PrtScrn] on your keyboard when it happens. Then go to Start > Run > Pbrush [enter]. Go to Edit > Paste then File > Save As. In the "Save As Type" box choose JPEG. Save the file, then attach it to your post.


REpear had an excellent post on this and I will quote it here instead of typing it all in my words. Perhaps we can have a few knowledgeable people look this over, add to it, then perhaps sticky it for future reference.

(Quote edited slightly to fix a few typos)

Not sure what your really discribing to us is a legit windows pop up or malware.

1. Update your virus scan and run a complete scan to rid computer of virus's.
1a. If you do not have one download AVG free edition at the following. Then install, update, and scan whole computer.

http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

2.Start up Spybot search and destroy, then update it. Then immunize your system. Then scan your computer. If you do not have it then do not worry about it. This program scans for malware, spyware, some virus's, and protects your computer for going to specific URL's. This guide would be too long for me to describe how to install this program. I recommend only using the internet protection part of these program, I have some issues with the system protection part. These settings can only be made during a custom install of the program. If you choose to install this program your on your own on how you want to install it.

http://www.spybot.com/index2.html

3. If your problem is the annoying Windows Security Center telling you the following: A: your virus scan is out of date,you do not have one or is not working correctly. B: Telling you to change your automatic update settings. C: your Firewall protection is off or not working. D: something else I don't know of in the errors.

3a. If you want to rid yourself of those notices. I highly recommend not to change these settings if you know nothing about computers. These warnings are there for a reason to alert the average user there is a problem. The following steps will allow you to keep Windows Security Center for the most part silent.

I. Go to your Control Panel.

II. If your using the Category View then click Security Center. -Move to step IV.

III. If your using Classic View, double click on Security Center. -Move to step IV.

IV. Once the Security Center window is brought up, you will see a bluw bordered box on the left side of the window. This blue box is titled "Resources". If you see bullets then move to step V. If you do not see bullets then you need to click the double arrows pointing downwards to expand the box. Now move to Step V.

V. Click the bottom bullet labeled. "Change the way Security Center alerts me"

VI. Now UNCHECK, all the features you DO NOT want to be alerted about. The click OK, then close out all the other windows that you opened up. Your finished.

Side note: you can use these same instructions to go back and turn the alerts back on if you need to.

A note on Spybot S&D and AVG: after you install them, they will pop up a box with suggestions on what you should do. Do all of them. Yes, it will take a while, but you need to do all of them. Update, immunize, scan, the whole thing. If it's really annoying you and you really want to get it fixed, it will probably require some time and effort on your part.
 
I do not mind giving advise out for free but don't make it a hassle for me please. When your asking me for advise I need very specific details as possible so I know what is going on with your computer software or hardware.

My background on computers is a AS degree from ITT Tech in Computer Network Systems and I am currently working on my Information Security Systems BS degree from ITT Tech. I have a vast knowledge of the ground level areas of all major parts of the IT field. I do not have any certifications at this time because I do not have the time nor money to put into working on them. I have spent roughly $70,000 on these two degrees. I will say there are alot of computer fixing stores out there that WILL rip you off and charge you an arm and a leg to get your computer fixed. There are how ever nice and legit places that will give you a fair deal. Ask around for the good places, ask your company's IT people for personal home places to get your computer fixed. DO NOT allow your business people to work on your home computers unless you absolutely trust them. Business and home matters should never cross paths.

So if you need help just send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help. Alternately make a post in the forums and others besides me can collaborate on helping you.
 
u might have gotten tired of me already, but i still believe DrWeb is the best scanner and CURER (and for god's sakes it's free!) on the market. http://www.freedrweb.com/ self-updating, free, scans cannot be beat, CURES most and not necessarily deletes, which is really important as windows cannot live without certain components...

also i like crap_Cleaner, but it's not an antivirus. [ame="http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/"]Download CCleaner 5.02.5101 - FileHippo.com[/ame]
 
Avast! has done me wonders along with CCleaner and Spybot S&D. I started on my CEET degree at ITT myself. Transferred to another college for a degree in CS.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top