HOW TO- Reusing archaic power switches

xenophek

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
735
HOW TO
Reuse An Archaic Power Switch​

I'm in the process of upgrading an older HP computer to a fancy new Athlon 64 x2 setup, and I ran into a problem with the case. The power switch for this bugger was all together and in a straight line. Well, that doesn't work well with a newer board, so I had to circumvent that crappy header. I feel that this is knowledge someone somewhere might like to have in words, so here is a nifty how-to for you.

01a6930c-1.jpg

It had been a long night...


First, you need to gather your tools. All you really need is something very pointy, like a needle. You can also use a pair of fingernail clippers, if it has one of those file things. I used a Leatherman, because it had a really pointy tool and a pair of pliers. A Leatherman can be your best friend sometimes...

Once you gather your pointy tools, you need to flip the connector over to reveal the side that shows the pins. For reference, it's the opposite side I'm showing in the above picture.

ad01c6e1.jpg

The plastic tabs can be difficult to get under, so show it who's boss.

These plastic connectors have little tabs that hold the metal pin in. To pull the pin out, you have to lift the plastic tab. Don't worry about destroying the plastic, because it's not like you're going to use it again... That said, push the wire (and connector) all the way into the plastic housing. This will give you plenty of room to work with. Stab your pointy device between the metal pin and the plastic tab. If you can't quite get underneath, you have two options. 1) Find a smaller pointy tool or 2) Make it work. Personally, I chose option 2. You may have to be a little forceful, but it doesn't have feelings.

46ba35e9.jpg

Rinse and repeat.

Pull the plastic tab up and victoriously remove your connector. Repeat this same process for all other pins.

0b7a4b40.jpg

I was victorious.

Now that you've shown that connector who wears the pants, you can connect the pins right to the motherboard. Be sure to consult your motherboard's manual to know the pin layout. The power and reset switches aren't very picky, but the HDD and power LEDs can be sometimes. Most of the time, the color is positive and black is negative.

383a832b.jpg

Old power switch has officially been shown who's boss.

Hey, if you have an old case or you're wanting to upgrade, you might run into this problem. My philosophy is to not waste a perfectly good case.

If you liked this article please post.
 
You may want to wrap those in electrical tape or something bc it looks like they could end up getting pushed together and shorting out. Ekkk
 
I really liked it. I'm not sure if I understood anything, but kudos to you! I woulda probably just bought a new PS ;)
 
I really liked it. I'm not sure if I understood anything, but kudos to you! I woulda probably just bought a new PS ;)

It's not the power supply. This talks about the connector for the power switch on the front of the case.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top