Want to build my own computer

Bruce*Lee

Famous
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
496
Well i decide that i want to build my own computer instead of a pre-built one.

I get around 15-20$ a week but i'm starting to save it up to buy and upgrade stuff

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103249
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339
**Graphic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161252
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
(Enough to run? fit the case?)
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
I want your opinion if it good :D

I dont want to get any too expensive since i only get around 15-20$ a week (high school student).

*Edit
Im not going to buy all the part at once, im going to buy them one at a time.
I have no other choice but to buy part by part

**Edit
Might get 600$ next month for my old computer (Uncle buying it lol)

Also which motherboard would be great to use for my built? and can be use with 125W (3 of them up there, or you can recommend me to a good motherboard. but not to expensive)

Grand Total: $600.30
Gonna take me a while to save it up IF my uncle doesnt buy the computer (Let hope he will :D)

***Edit
Took out the graphics, for a better motherboard and change the PSU to corsair since lots of people recommend me that :D

Grand Total: $684.05 (Added HDD)
Without monitor

(** = Buying later)
 
Last edited:
Edit: Scratch my list, how much are you willing to spend at once anyway? You get $15/wk...do you have a small amount saved up already? Give us a budget and we can go from there.
 
Last edited:
I would just like to offer some general advice here. If you save small amounts of money over time, you can buy the parts over time and save them. When you get everything ready it will be much more reawrding than to just build what you have and wait on it. It's better to have it all in one big box/pile and take it on as one big project. After all, opening the packages is half the fun :D


If you are not strongly stuck on buying an AMD processor, I highly recommend the intel Q6600 as it is the most bang-for-buck out of all the quad cores, and it overclocks like a beast (I hear people get it up to 3.6 on the stock cooler). If not, I hear the E8700 has been overclocked to a staggering 5GHz, which is insane, and will chew through anything you throw at it.

As for a video card, I see you picked the 8600 GTS. Let me tell you right off the bat. This card is awful. Absolutely awful. I bought my girlfriend a 9800GT for just a little bit more money and let me tell you it is almost as good as my 8800. It screams. Don't go for the 8600GTS!

As for your case, the NZXT Guardian would be easier to fit all your junk into :P

I noticed you did not mention hard drives or CD/DVD burners, so I assume you will be pulling the old ones out of your current computer.

And lastly, for the RAM, that is a good brand. If you decide to change brands, I recommend G.Skill, Kingston, mushkin, and sometimes Crucial or Patriot.
 
I would not buy piece by piece. Why? Prices will continue to fall (why pay $x for a part when you can get it for less when you need it), new parts/models will be introduced and what if the first thing you buy is dead in the box and no longer returnable when you do go to use it?

Save your money, figure out how much you want to spend and tinker with builds/prices in Newegg until you are able to purchase it all in one fell swoop.
 
well i have to buy the parts one at a time and i dont have any other choice then that

Also i would like to know if the power supply is enough to run smooth and will it fit the case?
 
I second the recommendation to skip the 8600GTS. It's just not a good gaming card. Other than that, it looks like you have picked out a pretty good line up of parts.
One other thing, if you want to save some cash, you could go with a Dual Core AMD, like the a 6000+ or so instead of the Phenom, and you'd probably not notice much difference in game. Most games don't use quad-core technology yet, and so dual works just as well. Then, when things do start using quad cores in a couple years, you can upgrade.
 
Hmm it would be great

I put the wrong link for my RAM i just updated

Also would like to know if the Cooler will fit in the case

and which motherboard is good?
 
Last edited:
also bboy, let me remind u on somethin. the cpu that u linked for us is mostly for ppl who do photoshop, ms office, mostly multitasking type things. unless ur a pretty big multitasker, i wouldnt suggest going w/ a quad core cpu (esp since ur gettin a decent vid card & im takin a guess that as a hi schooler ur big time into video games) so i would suggest goin to dual core. now if u really wanna go quad core, then thats fine, but the technology ur goin for will be a lil futurist for most games 4 quite a while (which i can understand where ur goin @), so just a lil heads up there.
 
Yes i do PS and some MS office work (My class require some of those stuff for project, reports etc.)
 
Last edited:
then go 4 it!! at least u wont have 2 worry bout upgradin in the near future now.
 
Ok :D

now i need help with the Mobo cause i dont know which one will fit in the case and which one is good

also the cooler
 
Again, unless you're overclocking, dont bother spending extra on an aftermarket cooler. The stock HSF that comes with the CPU is perfectly fine.

All 3 motherboards you listed are either m-ATX or ATX. Any one of them will fit in your case without problems.

As for which to choose from, Google the model name/number and search for reviews. A little bit of research from your part will go a long way in the end. :)
 
Nope. CM have a great line up of PC enclosures, but when shopping for a PSU, I'd only bother looking at a SeaSonic, Tagan, PC and P, SilverStone, Corsair or Antec.

Edit: Ah, you grabbed a Corsair. Good man. :p
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top