Router recommendations??

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
Well, I switched out the Motorola router that I had hoping that that would fix my network issue. I knew it wasnt the primary issue. I knew it was the Netgear, & looks like im right. Im still getting the same issues w/ connectivity & now ive lost signal 2x 2day. Not to mention the fact that the signal going to this 1 streaming radio station wants to go in & out now. Im looking on newegg & found (what I think looks like) my moms router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190
If you wish to suggest another router, by all means, but make sure its wireless (both my dad & I have a laptop so we both use the signal).
 
Well, I switched out the Motorola router that I had hoping that that would fix my network issue. I knew it wasnt the primary issue. I knew it was the Netgear, & looks like im right. Im still getting the same issues w/ connectivity & now ive lost signal 2x 2day. Not to mention the fact that the signal going to this 1 streaming radio station wants to go in & out now. Im looking on newegg & found (what I think looks like) my moms router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190
If you wish to suggest another router, by all means, but make sure its wireless (both my dad & I have a laptop so we both use the signal).

So are you losing connectivity to your router, or is there another issue you were trying to explain?

The streaming radio station you listen to could be having problems. Also high-bandwidth activities can also cause you to re-buffer.
 
LINKSYS WRT54GL isn't a bad choice.


If you do decide to buy it I strongly recommending on using custom firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato.

http://www.dd-wrt.com
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

They handle P2P connections better and with DD-WRT you can increase the voltage going to the antennas or overclock the CPU. You might want to check with some of the FCC laws before doing that though ;)
 
Use that same router and yet to have a problem with it.. Have it set on stock settings with only a slight wifi booster mod (windsurfer)
 
Its not a bad router, it could be your house layout. Like Chocolate said, he uses a Windsurfer, which is just tinfoil that redirects the signals towards an area. You could have this issue but just with your house, either its too far away or its being blocked.
 
Wireless N is still in the draft stage there is no final version yet.

It's expected to be finished from the draft stage in Nov 09.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top