Windows?

Cosmo X

Poster
=(e)=
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
201
I have a new custom rig coming from NewEgg and I cant decide if I should run XP-64 or just go with Vista. I have over 30gbs in my steam folder, just about everything ever published by valve, and I'm not sure if XP would be better or just take the dive and use Vista... or wait for Windows7? Any and all help would be appreciated. thnx
 
XP 64 has more issues than Vista x64 from what I have heard.

I would go with ultimate or get the windows 7 beta.
 
I say Vista Business x64, not Ultimate, only because Ultimate has a ton of crap that really isnt needed, Business is great imo...

XP 64 bit is utter crap, Vista 64 is more compatible with hardware than XP64, ironic eh? (in my experience dont flame me *hides*)
 
Well I've been using the Vista Home Premium x64 and hated it! Plus it didn't ran NFS Carbon. So I decided to go with XP Professional x64 and I'm loving it!
 
Has a simpler design than the Vista, easy-to-use interface and it works a lot faster than Vista!
 
Ok well I just had XP 64bit installed, and It ran tf2 and stuff fine, but in assassins creed I got cpu lag, and far cry2 ran all low. Installed vista 32bit, and it runs everything better and smoother. Never bothered with 64bit vista. I have vista business. Friend also did the same, went from 32bit pro to 32bit vista business. The performance is just so much greated. Went from running Assassins creed all low with 20fps, and stutter to it maxed out and a steady fps between 40-60. I also have Aero turned on, its a totally fresh copy, nothing tweaked or removed.
 
I would go with ultimate or get the windows 7 beta.

NO. Why would you have him go with a beta of an OS that is not out/complete/ and/or supported fully at the moment.

I would suggest going 64 bit if you have more than 4 gigs of ram so the computer and the OS fully utilize the amount you have on your system.

I have been using windows vista 64 bit and I have not encountered any problems at all.

In the beginning everyone complained about Vista only because Microsoft pushed the release of the OS before there was hardware that would run it smoothly. Which is why there was Vista ready and Vista able sticker machines in stores.

I am really looking forward to Windows 7. I tested Win 7 6801 from a professor and was amazed how fast and smooth it installed and ran. It also detected updates not only for my OS but drivers as well.

We tested the OS on a old dell machine from about 4-5 years old with a single core and 512 ram and it ran just as smooth. Maybe not with the flash Aero desktop stuff but the core OS ran smooth.

I was reading how Win 7 will use your processor power to visualize desktop items like Aero stuff without needed an graphics card.

Overall my suggestion still stands. If you have more than 4 gigs of ram on ur rig go with either Vista 64 business or ultimate. I have ultimate.

Hope that helps ya out.
 
Go with Vista 64.
I've been using it for a while now, and it may be more of a pain compared to XP, but it's nothing that makes you cry blood or anything.

It's hard to go back to XP once you get used to Vista.
 
NO. Why would you have him go with a beta of an OS that is not out/complete/ and/or supported fully at the moment.

eh, it works good, runs amazing, and looks perty. I'm using it to play TF2 and HL2 now. ATI released drivers for it, and it inherits drivers from vista, so you should be g2g once you get it installed.
 
Only issue would be activation, what happens when the beta gets shutdown and it goes live? He would be screwed
 
I'd definitely lean more towards Vista X64 and stay away from XP64 or the Beta.

Comes down to you. Are you someone who wants to load once and be done with it?
Or are you willing to tinker and tweak your PC?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top