Left4Dead, a map idea, and no SDK

=[Ga]= AutoDMC

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
1,113
I've found some tutorials elsewhere for tricking Hammer and L4D into letting you map for it.

( http://forums.l4dmaps.net/showthread.php?t=139 )

I've got an idea for a L4D map/campaign... but I was wondering.

Would it be better to wait for the official SDK update (Valve says it's Soon, but Valve invented Valve Time, so...), or go ahead with the hacks?

I ask, because I don't want to build a whole bunch of geometry, add a whole bunch of entities, etc, etc, and then when the real SDK comes out, have to redo it all.

Technically, the "hacks" should work because the content comes straight from L2D, but I'm not sure.

I mean, to alpha the idea, I really only need basic geometry (not even doors), entities for the director, fog control, etc, so I might get away with it.


-----


On a side note, my map/campaign (currently named "SPEEDTRAP", trying to think of a slogan) takes place in a small rural town, where you have to make it from one side to the other. Here's the pitch, I'm open to suggestions.

As opposed to most "linear" L4D maps, I want you to be able to choose your own path through the town.

There'll be an exploded gas line, and a crashed airplane cutting off the main highways, so you'll have to go through the city streets.

The map will use fog heavily, so you'll only be able to see about a half-block away in any direction. Each checkpoint will have a map of the town with the next objective highlighted.

Here's a question, though: obviously a path from one place in town to another... there's only one optimum path. I want the map to pick four or five streets to block up with debris, fencing, etc. Can you put this kind of logic into a map? Basically, I want to encourage alternate paths through the town other than the plain, optimum path, without forcing a linear scenic trip through town. Even spawning a tank or a witch would just get people to kill it and move on.

I imagine there will be more documentation later on how to make miniboss finalies and Grand Finalies. I'd just like to go a bit farther than just drawing sketches and chatting with friends... while on the other hand, I don't want to make a ton of geometry in vain.
 
Yes, wait for the SDK. If you attempt to map now and you are not that experienced you're map will have horrible results. So wait for the SDK to be released. Not saying you can map in Hammer now and change the entities and textures for L4D, but dont compile it.
 
Great idea, but from the little I know about making maps, you had better wait. This way you can ensure that it will turn out well. And you won't waste time making a bad map :)
 
Best thing to do if you want to get it laid out brush wise is go ahead map just the brushes and use the dev gray/orange textures, these are in all games.

Now while the entities arent supported you can just have it started so that your idea's down in a map and not lost, if you get my drift. VMFs can be loaded in any Hammer for any Engine EP1/OBE/L4D so no worrys about needing to be converted.
 
Yeah, OK, thought so.

I like that idea, Rogue Sniper. I think I'll just stick with entities.

I'm still stuck on how to encourage exploring of the map, instead of people just zooming down the middle, you know? I don't want to put effort in alternate routes that are never used!
 
Well theres no entities for L4D yet that why you can only make brushes
 
Yeah, OK, thought so.

I like that idea, Rogue Sniper. I think I'll just stick with entities.

I'm still stuck on how to encourage exploring of the map, instead of people just zooming down the middle, you know? I don't want to put effort in alternate routes that are never used!

You could probably block off parts of the middle route so you need to go around it to get back into the middle? Which would mean using alleyways, other streets etc. This is an idea, and I have never played L4D so =/ just a suggestion.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top