IT classes

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
hey guys, need a lil help here. im gonna be takin a computer class & was wonderin which sounds more basic:
Microcomputer Applications
Fundamental concepts of computer systems, including components, configurations, and capabilities. Use of current end-user software to solve problems.

Intro to PC Operating System
A study of personal computer operating systems. Topics include installation and configuration, file managements, memory and storage management, control of peripheral devices, and use of utilities.

Either way I go, I will have to shell out $200 for the class (which isnt all that bad considering that most other colleges/universities charge way more).
 
The first is going to be more complicated and more useful. The second will most likely be easier but not give you as much useful info. The first one sounds more like its based around hardware and the second based around basics of software.
 
The reason I ask this is because I was certified as an A+ Technician back in 2002 & even tho I do keep up with the latest in technology, im not that good when it comes to software (esp OS). So since the 1st option is going to be more useful, I might as well go that direction (at least the $200 will be well spent & I hopefully wont be confusing myself).
 
2nd seems like its aimed to newer computer users. Like keeping files straight, and how do get around the OS.
 
Actually, I think both classes sound somewhat useful. I think the second class, with the word "Intro" in the title, might be throwing people off. We don't have the full class description so it's hard to tell.

But based on what you posted, if the real motivation around this is focusing on your A+ certification, I think the second class actually sounds more applicable. To me, it sounds more like it will explore the "guts" of a PC.

The first class, again to me, sounds more like a higher-level class. Something like,

"This is a MOUSE. It can be used to move this thing. A MOUSE POINTER."

And use of "current software" to "solve problems"? I can't imagine this would be something more than complex than using a spreadsheet (it adds!) or using a web browser to Google something.

My three cents.
 
The reason I ask this is because I was certified as an A+ Technician back in 2002 & even tho I do keep up with the latest in technology, im not that good when it comes to software (esp OS). So since the 1st option is going to be more useful, I might as well go that direction (at least the $200 will be well spent & I hopefully wont be confusing myself).

I did a quick google search on the class descriptions. Are you taking classes at waj.tccd.edu? If you are not, ignore the rest of this post =).

if you are, then the first course looks useless. I found the course syllabus and the topics look trivial:

1. The student will demonstrate an understanding of the basic hardware
components of microcomputer systems. (CCIC 1, 4, 6; CCP 1, 4, 7) The
student will be able to
a. recognize common system unit components;
b. state the function of each component;
c. describe the impact of each component on computer performance;
d. list the types of volatile and nonvolatile storage;
e. name common peripherals and their uses;
f. discuss the decision-making process of purchasing a computer.
2. The student will demonstrate an understanding of the categories of software and
their functions. (CCIC 1, 4, 6; CCP 4) The student will be able to
a. describe various types of application software;
b. explain the purposes of system software;
c. demonstrate file management techniques;
d. navigate a graphical user interface;
e. demonstrate the use of system maintenance utilities.
3. The student will demonstrate an understanding of the different types of
computer networks and the technologies used. (CCIC 1, 4, 6; CCP 1, 2, 4, 5)
The student will be able to
a. describe the benefit and function of networks;
b. identify the tools of the Internet and the World Wide Web;
c. explain the effect security has on the use of technology;
d. describe current network technologies;
e. describe the Internet’s impact on society;
4. The student will demonstrate computer literacy. (CCIC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; CCP 1, 2,
3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) The student will be able to
a. list some of the important historical events in the development of
computers;
b. discuss the impact technology has on people (ergonomics), the
environment, and common professions;
c. list the different categories of computers and their uses;
d. discuss ethical issues regarding computer usage;
5. The student will develop marketable skills using current end-user application
software. (CCIC 1, 4, 6; CCP 6, 7) The student will be able to
a. prepare, modify, and manipulate word processing documents;
b. prepare, modify, and manipulate spreadsheets;
c. prepare, modify, and manipulate simple databases;
d. prepare, modify, and manipulate graphical presentation;
e. create a simple web page.

With respect to the second course, I couldn't find a better course description, so I'm not sure what you would learn there.

By the way, what aspects of operating systems to you want to learn?
 
Last edited:
Well, heres the thing, I was certified in the hardware area cause I passed the exam for that, but I didnt pass the exam for the OS stuff, so what Im thinking is that I may need to take the OS course. I do know alot about operating systems, but I dont know everything. Like I know majority of the shortcuts in Windows (all of the ones that majority of ppl use now n days) but I think the OS class will help me get down to the nitty gritty (like .exe, .dll, stuff like that).
 
What was tested in the OS exam? Was it more like the computer science topics, memory management, kernel architecture, threads and processes, synchronization, file systems, address spacing, I/O? Or was it asking for commercial OS features (i.e. how to setup a network in Windows, describe NTFS)?

I don't mean to pry, just curious. I've never taken any cert. exams =).

From what it sounds like, I think the second course (Intro to PC OS) is more useful for you.
 
When it came to the OS exam, it was all that (except for the network bit). It was more bout way inside the OS tho, bout the bios, .dll, stuff that can be done in Windows, etc.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top