Can i overclock my Videocard?

Angeal

Forum Fanatic
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
995
I'm running a PNY Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra

i want to know can i over clock it?

Set on right now Corebus:475Mhz,Memorybus:950Mhz

And if i can over clock it can someone tell me what to set the Corebus and memorybus on?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I'll let someone who knows more about it tell you, but whatever you do make sure the card doesn't get too hot under full load. There is a neat program called rthdrbl that, if set high enough, will put your card under full load. Run that for an hour and keep an eye on the card's temperature.

Also, since it's wintertime don't forget to take future rising ambient temperature into account. Temperatures can make or break your video card. Literally.
 
Overclocking your video card also voids warranty with most companies and from my personal experience I never gained a noticable difference when I over clocked.
 
With that progam it get's about 70 Gpu
Overclocking.png
 
Last edited:
71C isn't too bad. I've seen some cards pulling 90+C and still running. Optimally you want 50-60C at full load.

To be honest, unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't OC your video card. It's a long and painstaking process (I know from experience). You have to slowly up the GPU clock, test it, then up the shader clock, test it...rinse and repeat until you find the highest setting that is stable.

If you use a nVidia card, nTune is a free program you can download off their site if it didn't already come with the card's driver disc. ATI has ATITool I believe.

There are also some programs out there that will do it for you, but unless they show you step by step what they are increasing...you're flying blind as you have no idea what caused x setting to become unstable, or when y setting causes your screen to black out.
 
So what your saying is over clocking will really do nothing for me and it's a pain
 
So what your saying is over clocking will really do nothing for me and it's a pain

yes and no
overclocking gives a little porformnce boost but ure not goin to see like 10- 20 frames more
and ure already running a fairly high temp (not to high most video cards have a built in auto shutdown when it gets to hot) on ure core and
overclocking will make it get hotter use riva tuner to push the fan speed up and see what ure temps are!
http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner
so unless you gots the money to buy another card if that one dies I would not bother
but I always says push it to the limit!!
 
Last edited:
You could overclock if you wanted to. However you would need to invest in either a better cooling system, or you need to find a program that will allow you to make the fan speed faster. I believe amd overclock is one.
 
Alright so what your saying is there's not really any point of doing it because, it could get to hot and burn out,& i would have to buy a another card or i could keep it at normal Settings and be fine.
 
Yeah i'm thinking of getting a Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2

price is right too really cheap i would go with a Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
But here's the thing will it fit in my Pc i don't think it will

So I'm going with Radeon HD 3650 looks same size as my geforce So lets hope it go's well.
 
dont not over clock that card..70c is way to hot to start WAY TO HOT.
My 8800 dosent even see 50c under full load.and unless you can over clock a great amount you will only get 7 to 10 more fps.
The 3650 is a junker,more for mutli media that for a gamer.
3850agp 512 I had.and it ran real hot.If you dont have sufficiant air flow and power supply its going to very very hot...was not impressed at all.the agp slot held it back.
I only got another 25 fps than with my x850pro.reason agp slot.
I suggest saving your loot and building a new rig.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top