Ubuntu 8.10, Wine, and Vent

Tanooki

Thread Junky
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
896
Tonight I have decided to be done with Windows because I have been ticked off for the last time by it. Now I have come to my first problem which it's not even on my desktop... but my EEEpc Laptop. I have Wine installed, and got vent installed through Wine and the terminal. Now I can not get vent to start up. The guide I was using for the install was fine up until the actual starting of the program. If anyone could help me I would be very grateful. The distro of Linux I am running is Ebuntu 2.0, which is based off of Ubuntu 8.10.
 
Wine sucks. Use Cedega Project. Used to be called "Transgaming Wine-X" It's one of the best Windows Emulators available for gaming, and MS-based applications.
http://www.cedega.com/

Holy crap, I edit my post... Cedega is now requiring people to pay for their product... It's still an awesome product, but I have lost some respect for them...
 
Last edited:
Actually, Wine owns. I have never had a problem running Ventrilo on Ubuntu 8.04/8.10. The only issue I had was my microphone would work on Vent but only when I wasn't playing music.
 
Meh, after 8 hours or so of trying to get everything working on Linux, I've decided to give it up on my desktop... I can't get WoW running... everytime I launch it I get a crash. So I'm just going to stick with Linux on my EEEpc because I really enjoy Linux on it. If Linux had better game support, I'd love to transition over to it... but it never will have good game support... :(
 
O_o Try using regular Ubuntu. I never had problems in Wine with any games except TF2 where the main screen had no background.
 
That's the thing, I was using regular Ubuntu on my desktop, 8.10, my laptop was running Ebuntu 2.0, which so far I'm loving. I got Ubuntu up and running just fine on my desktop, other then forgetting to change my HDD to enable LBA.

I was really enjoying Ubuntu on my desktop other then having to jump through hops to get games installed. I got the first 4 WoW disc installed, then I got BC installed, and tried to boot it and it crashed. I have a 250 GB HDD, I'm going to be using around.... 100 GB total for xp, a 20 GB C:, with 3 other partitions according to my needs.

I plan to install Ubuntu to the rest of the un-partitioned space. I tried to do this before I did a install of Ubuntu that used the entire disk, but it failed to write.. so meh, I'll figure something out. I plan to copy all of the game files I need from Windows right into my Ubuntu partition. I was reading and found a lot of suggestions saying that option is one of the simplest.
 
Eww. Games work better for me if I install in Windows then copy to the Linux partition.
 
Yeah, that is what I plan to do. I was copying the needed files into a folder, then doing the install.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top