Folding at home

yellowbadger52

Thread Junky
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
789
So i was wondering if anyone does Folding @ Home? If so we should see about making an eGO Folding team to help out with the cause. For those of you who do not know what Folding @ Home is HERE is a link.

By using our CPUs and videocards we can help Stanford University research how proteins assemble themselves. This research could possibly lead to cures for Cancer, Alzheimers, and numerous other diseases.

If we can get enough people to create a team that would be great. It could also help get our name out even more and make our image look better because we are giving back to the world!

Edit: Heres a list of people so far that fold already and are possibly interested in making a team. I think if we get enough interest we could talk to the council about getting a team started.

1. Me
2. Kodiak
3. Existence
4.bboy physics
5. JV
6. Xenophek
7. Swordsman
8. Sniper
9.B-man
10. GCrusader
 
Last edited:
Folding @ Home is an awesome program, and not only is it for a great cause, but even tho it wasn't meant for it, it's a great way to compete with others, cause even if you don't win... protein research does!

As you can see I already participate, see sig ;-)
 
Nice kodiak! We could even have like a monthly award for top folders of the month and new folders of the month.
 
just FYI to some people, it FREE and you might only notice a little increase in your electrical bill

Im doing it when i make the gaming rig

OCN have there own F@H team too
 
I have been running distributed commuting projects on my puter since early 2001. Currently I am crunching away on the following projects, SETI@HOME, QMC@HOME, Einstein@HOME and LHC@HOME. I used to run folding@home but it's not supported by the BONIC client so I stopped running it. I would probly start again if eGO had it's own group. As a matter of fact we should create a eGO group for all the major distributed computing projects. Here is a link for to the BONIC website for those that are interested.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
 
Also, it puts your computer at a nice 100% load, what better way to test your computers cooling system? worried your cooling isn't enough? test it with folding... guaranteed to max it out :-) and then you'll know...

Like OCing? can you really tell it's doing anything besides looking at the #? pfft prove it... fold, if you can OC and get better #'s you'll know for a fact it's doing what you want. Also if it can't fold, it's not stable!
 
Yea, mine barely makes an impact in processing speed.
AMD Athlong 3800+ X2, with the latest client,
 
I have the system tray client or whatever. Running a Core 2 Duo e7200 overclocked to 3.6 GHz.

I was hoping to get some serious number crunching done, but it only uses 50% of the processor (one whole core at a time)
 
2x8800GT's Folding@Home for the [H]orde (HardOCP.com - Team #33). I'm Sn1PeR on that also. Currently 824,137 points total :)

GPU folding is where the power is at.
 
Last edited:
This is cool so see this many people interested. hope we can get more people to join us.

Folding really is the best stability tester out there. You can really get a chance to put your system under 100% load and have it actually do something meaningful in those 8+ hours you test for stability for.
 

Similar threads

Latest posts

Back
Top