2nd HDD for movies = Perfect!

mad pistol

EGO Zealot
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
1,482
Original Thread: http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67425

Well, the new 640GB Western Digital Drive arrived today. Not only is it the largest drive I've ever bought, but it's also the first drive that I've had to format from inside the OS. It was much easier to do than I thought it would be. The benefits of having an extra drive just for recording raw movie files is totally worth it though.

As I predicted in my original thread, having a 2nd drive for recording movies is the ideal situation in nearly all cases. I could get a stronger CPU (such as a quad core) or a faster Video Card (I've got a 9800 GTX+), but I really don't think it's a problem right now. The games that I've tested recording so far (Mirror's Edge, Crysis, and Cod4) have all come out with very successful results.

I've increased my recording res from 1280x720 to 1600x900. This should mean that when I edit the movies and then compress them to 720P, the noticeable pixels that you see in regular gameplay should be all but gone. On all the games I tested, the lagging and stuttering caused by loading from the HDD are completely gone! That means I can play Crysis @ 1600x900, all high settings, and I average about 30fps, and it's buttery smooth. The recording quality is supurb too!

I'll post a video hopefully tomorrow of Crysis. It's really hard to believe that hi-res recordings can be made now without the use of external devices. It's quite exciting! :D
 
Last edited:
that is really awesome. I remember reading your thread and was gonna post on it but i had no clue as to what the results would be. Now youll be posting us some hd videos for us to watch!
 
Yes. Many great movies to come (hopefully). My first project is a couple of movies from Crysis.

As with the Mass of Spies video, I hope to be a visual chronicler of eGO's tourneys and "Madness" nights. Just having the capability to do such things is awesome.

BTW, this drive cost me $75 @ newegg.com. Free shipping too! Hard Drives are just so cheap now! :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Wow! The price dropped to $60 over the weekend! And now they're out of them! :eek:
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top