NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Munkypoo7

Active Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2008
Messages
398
The G92 Series will be officially renamed next month. According to our source, NVIDIA will announce the ?new? GeForce GTS 250 graphics card on the first Tuesday of March when Cebit 2009 opens. The following is what NV says to its partners.

?GeForce GTS 250 carries over the same specs and features of 9800 GTX+, and hence the same GPU, memory, board, PCB, and thermal solution. AIC?s should be confident in purchasing GPU?s, PCB?s, and other materials, since the only change is a new VBIOS to implement the new branding?

In fact, GeForce GTS 250 graphics card is exactly the same as 9800GTX+. What NVIDIA has done is just to update the BIOS and change the packing. Besides, 8800GT (9800GT) will also be renamed as GTS 240, in a quieter way though. It seems NVIDIA is going to focus on promoting its Low Power Series.

GeForce 9800GTX+ was announced on July 11th last year, to compete with Radeon HD4850. GeForce 9800GTX+ grew out of GeForce 9800GTX, with improvement in processing and frequency.

The name of GeForce 9800GTX+ has rooted deeply in people?s mind, so the rename might make users confused, though it?s necessary if NVIDIA decides to carry out its new naming rule.

Source: http://en.expreview.com/2009/02/04/nvidia-geforce-gts-250-to-make-its-debut-at-cebit-2009.html

Opinions? Thoughts?

I find this to be a joke but then again, leave it to NVidia to do the good ol' name switch-a-roo :P
 
Lol if the consumer doesn't want to do their research, the company should be able to do what they wish. It's not like they hid the data, heck they even said it themselves. But, you know that some rich noob is going to go out and say "Oh! New card, I must have it!" then sing praises about it for being so powerful.
 
I find it funny that they keep renaming there cards to confuse the consumer to buying there old stuff.
the 8800gt is now a 9800gt is now a 240?
 
wait..I have a geforce9800gtx +, does that mean that it's now called a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 ??
 
So whats a 9600GT called now? a GTS 210? or GTX 210? or GT? ??? if so then wow my card's been upgraded ... oh wait never mind just a name change fail...
 
Lol if the consumer doesn't want to do their research, the company should be able to do what they wish. It's not like they hid the data, heck they even said it themselves. But, you know that some rich noob is going to go out and say "Oh! New card, I must have it!" then sing praises about it for being so powerful.

The average consumer has no idea where to look to do their research.

Nvidia's at it again. More respect lost (if even possible at this point)...

~Gooda~
 
what they are doing is just plain stupid. if it's the same thing, you are just causing more confusion. the whole point of establishing the 200 series was to reduce confusion, instead they are creating more.

the only way i can see for this to work out is if they phase out the 9 series right now. that would not be a good idea, mind you.
 
I have no idea where the move would go.

It sounds like a good idea, bringing the older cards closer the new generation.
To me, the 9800GTX still sounds outdated, despite the fact that I know better. I mean, I recognize it has performance, but just being in the 9000 series seems to make it older, and less powerful.

Thus, by renaming the card in the 200 series, they can have the appearance of bringing more cards to this current generation of their GPUs, despite the fact that their just renaming an old card.


As some said, many buyers might not do research, and will see the 250 GTS, and think it's a kind of improvement over the 9800GTX, just because it's closer the high profile 260/280GT series
 
Ya, I'm starting to lose respect for Nvidia. I saw this on another site and I couldn't really believe it. They've pulled this one before but I thought it would be just the once but I guessed wrong. And Havegooda makes a good point. If someone sees a GTX 240 or 250 they will think its a newer and better card because of the name. Many consumers don't do research on what they are buying.
 
I find it funny that they keep renaming there cards to confuse the consumer to buying there old stuff.
the 8800gt is now a 9800gt is now a 240?

theyre trying to be competative with their numbering, hoping people will ignore the fact that ATI is currently at the top(or will be again when the 4970X2comes out.

-Blue
 

Latest posts

Back
Top