No multiplayer... what?

xenophek

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
735
When I play a Source based game, I cannot host multiplayer games. Like, I can't create a game, or even create a server. When the person tries to join, he/she gets "Server is not responding" when I know is better be.

I think I've narrowed it down to my internet, but I've tried all possible settings, including plugging into the net without a router. Any thoughts?

Info:
Charter Cable
Linksys WRT54G wireless router

Machine 1:
Vista Home Premium (64)
Core 2 Duo, 3.6 OC
4 GB memory
All drivers updated

Machine 2:
Everex NM3500W laptop
http://www.notebook-driver.com/everex/everex-stepnote-nm3500w-notebook-windows-xp-drivers/
(runs a dedicated server just fine)
 
I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I do remember reading posts like this on the Steam Forums over the years. I think there's something you have to type into the console and/or there's ports you have to open up or something. I definitely recommend posting this on the Steam Forums, those folks over there are l33t haha. Good luck!
 
Ok, but I'd still like to see what eGO members think. By the way, I have already opened all the ports, and even was extreme enough to turn off the firewall. Nada.
 
It may be starting as a LAN only server.... I dont quite remember, but I think there may be a server command to open it up... at least when you are not hosting it as a dedicated server. sv_lan 0 maybe?

I would look it up cause im pretty sure there is a server variable that can limit it to be visible on a LAN only or to the internet.
 
are you using the decicated server or ingame hosting ?
 
Do you have a hidden firewall? I know that Norton AV and a few other programs actually have firewalls that are tough to figure out if you don't know about them. Your ISP might also be blocking the ports. Can they see it in the server browser? If they can then its most likely some sort of firewall issue. If you do it behind a router, there are a lot of ports you need to forward. If you try to connect to a LAN server, from the internet, I think it'll throw a "This server is for local clients only" error, or something like that on the client's side.
 
the reason is probably that your modem has a built-in firewall which is stopping inbound connections, and if it does, heh, there's not much you can do, unless your ISP allows you to access the modem's settings, which they don't usually. But hey, you got nothing to lose by trying! type your gateway in your browser, and check if the access is password-protected. If it is, then you can try guessing a bit, most common is User: "admin" Password: (blank) or User and Password "admin" or both blank, but if you can't find it, then you're pretty much done for. You can try calling your ISP and explaining your predicament, but i don't think they'll give you the username or password..
 

Latest posts

Back
Top