- Joined
- Sep 28, 2008
- Messages
- 387
Hey Everyone,
I just thought I would drop a line here to inform users of some strange stuff I had going on and how I resolved it.
List of issues:
- Frame rates dropping to approximately 3-5fps while in-game (CS:S)
- RAM Consumption unnoticed. No Antiirus scans, nothing abnormal going on in the background.
- CPU usage held steady at 70-100% while idling (only applications running were Steam, IRC client, and Pidgin)
- Rebooting/Restarting PC would correct the problem for undetermined amount of time. Issue would return at random.
- Discoloration in Windows and in-game on brand new Viewsonic 24" LCD Monitor (5ms refresh)
None of these issues seem to really be related in any way except for they are all living on the FSB. Any one of these issues would cause someone to expect RAM, Video card, or Processor. Which actually means the Front Side Bus on the systemboard/motherboard is the most likely candidate for replacement.
I decided to begin troubleshooting by replacing components. I figured I'd start with the least expensive component and move up. So, I replaced my 2.4GHz Intel Pentium 4 (HT) processor with a 2.2GHz Intel Pentium 4. (It only cost me $20.00 brand new!!!)
My problems disappeared completely! I enjoyed for the first time in ages, an entire night of fragging without rebooting. It was just lovely! (Now I can finally replace my system in March when I receive my Tax refund! w00t!)
I just thought I would drop a line here to inform users of some strange stuff I had going on and how I resolved it.
List of issues:
- Frame rates dropping to approximately 3-5fps while in-game (CS:S)
- RAM Consumption unnoticed. No Antiirus scans, nothing abnormal going on in the background.
- CPU usage held steady at 70-100% while idling (only applications running were Steam, IRC client, and Pidgin)
- Rebooting/Restarting PC would correct the problem for undetermined amount of time. Issue would return at random.
- Discoloration in Windows and in-game on brand new Viewsonic 24" LCD Monitor (5ms refresh)
None of these issues seem to really be related in any way except for they are all living on the FSB. Any one of these issues would cause someone to expect RAM, Video card, or Processor. Which actually means the Front Side Bus on the systemboard/motherboard is the most likely candidate for replacement.
I decided to begin troubleshooting by replacing components. I figured I'd start with the least expensive component and move up. So, I replaced my 2.4GHz Intel Pentium 4 (HT) processor with a 2.2GHz Intel Pentium 4. (It only cost me $20.00 brand new!!!)
My problems disappeared completely! I enjoyed for the first time in ages, an entire night of fragging without rebooting. It was just lovely! (Now I can finally replace my system in March when I receive my Tax refund! w00t!)













