What temp should my GPU be at?

blackhawksniper

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
6,861
My laptop has been overheating and powering down a lot recently. When I check to feel how hot parts of it get, its hard to hold my hand down for awhile because its so hot. I downloaded the nvidia system monitor and am currently watching my gpu when I play games. The only time I get overheated is when I play Company of Heroes. I can play Css fine. My idle GPU temp seems to be around 66*C
 
As long as u don't get any errors that ur comp is over heating u should be fine
 
Have you ever opened the laptop and cleaned the cooling fans? This is the main reason why any computer overheats.
 
66*C is a reasonable temperature for a mobile GPU.

Like Techdre said, cleaning out the fans and heatsinks once every couple of months will help a lot towards keeping your laptop cool.

Also, how old is the laptop? Is it possible that either the Battery or Power Supply Chord may be going out? A weak Power Supply brick will cause your computer to randomly shut down.

Usually overheating just causes artifacts/ core throttling.... not random power downs.
 
Last edited:
okay, I clocked it while playing CoH and it goes up to 96 and 97*C the whole time. Should I just turn down my settings?
 
That's hot but still regular for a laptop.
I highly suggest you buy a cooling pad with a fan.
Around $10 and will help out your temperature a lot.
 
I agree with Vader. If you don't have a base fan unit for your laptop, it will kill your Vid card faster. Also some peeps open up their laptops and but Arctic Siver on the CPU & GPU fan heatsinks.
 
buy a cooling pad with a fan yes...and get more mem...and maybe a new battery, especially if u play games and are on it alot
 
I play on a laptop also HP HDX9494nr My laptop does not heat up but I had others laptops before that made me get used to have a cooling pad for laptops at all times especially if you are a gamer. Well I search and purchased several coolers for Notebooks and I can tell you this one is the best one i have found and at much lower price. I have had those 59$+ coolers but this is just the best one in every way. Power comes from its own cord not a USB power base that wont give you enough power on those fans. 3 Extra USB ports. Aluminum base that will generate cool air from down up. This is a must for a Laptop Gamer.
Ignore the low egg rate on new egg. (Only con I have seen is that vista sees the USB ports as 1.0 instead of 2.0 So if you have XP that wont be a problem) But in any case you want this for the cooling performance not the extra USB ports.


main.jpg

a_vantec_lapcool_pro_labtop_cooler.jpg

a_vantec_laptcool_pro_labtop_cooler_base_pic.jpg


You can purchase this from Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997443&Tpk=N82E16834997443

Here is a link for a Real review of this product:
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Vantec_Lapcool_Pro/index.shtml

Do not go for other Vantec coolers like the Vantec cooler 2 or the Vantec Cooler 3. I have seen and the air flow is so poor. USB power and plastic material.

Peace.
 
Last edited:
Most video cards can take up to 100C. However, in a laptop that extra heat may spread to other parts that don't like being so hot. A good rule is to never OC a laptop. :D
 
Thanks Servant, I was thinking of getting one of those expensive ones, your going to save me some $$$ :)
 
I play on a laptop also HP HDX9494nr My laptop does not heat up but I had others laptops before that made me get used to have a cooling pad for laptops at all times especially if you are a gamer. Well I search and purchased several coolers for Notebooks and I can tell you this one is the best one i have found and at much lower price. I have had those 59$+ coolers but this is just the best one in every way. Power comes from its own cord not a USB power base that wont give you enough power on those fans. 3 Extra USB ports. Aluminum base that will generate cool air from down up. This is a must for a Laptop Gamer.
Ignore the low egg rate on new egg. (Only con I have seen is that vista sees the USB ports as 1.0 instead of 2.0 So if you have XP that wont be a problem) But in any case you want this for the cooling performance not the extra USB ports.


main.jpg

a_vantec_lapcool_pro_labtop_cooler.jpg

a_vantec_laptcool_pro_labtop_cooler_base_pic.jpg


You can purchase this from Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997443

Here is a link for a Real review of this product:
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Vantec_Lapcool_Pro/index.shtml

Do not go for other Vantec coolers like the Vantec cooler 2 or the Vantec Cooler 3. I have seen and the air flow is so poor. USB power and plastic material.

Peace.

Yeah Servant that's really good, 2 x 120mm fans should be enough.
And it's black. <3
 
No Problem you are welcome Blackhawksniper and thank you for taking My word.

And yes Vader Those are good Fans and I am currently using that Cooler No complains. Gets little loud if you are not gaming and have then at full speed. But again if you are not gaming they should not even be on or at least at medium speed witch you can adjust, and when you are gaming you have a head set so. No problem at All.

Peace.
 
Servant, Cute avatar :)

And also i would get a cooling pad too, My moms gets hot like that too but we got a cooling pad for it and it's not as hot as it was..

Also shes got intel in her pc :P
 
I agree with vader, a cooling pad is a cheap and effective solution. it just sits under your laptop and draws heat out of your vents and disperses it with large fans. it will likely cool your laptop down by a significant quantity. you could probably pick one up at best buy or fry's, if not tigerdirect or newegg will have one for sure.
 
Hope this solves your problems which it should. :)
Contact me if there is any more problems. Info down in my sig.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top