Do Source games use multiple GPUs?

xenophek

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
735
I'm very seriously considering moving up to a 4850x2, but I'm trying to weigh in the actual amount of games that will run well with multiple GPUs. I know my games run pretty nicely already on the 4850, but is there a list of games (even non Source) that have been proven to use a Crossfire setup well?
 
I could be wrong, but I think Crossfire operates differently than a single video card with two GPUs.

Concerning Source games though, yeah they should run fine on it, but I wouldn't expect a massive performance jump as the 4850 you have now probably runs them all near, if not over, the 100 FPS mark. The Source engine is old and still runs single threaded. Only newer games will see benefits from something like Crossfire or SLI.

So to sum it up, the X2 will work just fine with your games, even if it doesn't full utilize both GPU's it may not even need to, depending on the game you are running. It will certainly futureproof your rig for a bit.
 
One of my roommates uses crossfire and it runs all his games (steam inc) just fine.
 
Yeah, I do pretty good right now, but I've heard of nvidia users where they have to turn off SLI to play certain games, blah blah blah.

I also know that some games (like Crysis) don't really see a benefit in the upgrade. At least that's what I've read
 
I'm very seriously considering moving up to a 4850x2, but I'm trying to weigh in the actual amount of games that will run well with multiple GPUs. I know my games run pretty nicely already on the 4850, but is there a list of games (even non Source) that have been proven to use a Crossfire setup well?

Check here: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3517&p=11

The 4850X2 2GB is a great card and well worth it.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top