Cable TV?

mrcool

EGO Addict
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
1,283
This is very much along the lines of Crawlerz post but I haven't actually gotten that far. Here goes:

I don't have a TV, but I'd like to get cable through my PC. What do I need? Do I need a TV tuner card or a video capture card? Will my cable company freak out if they show up to do an install and I don't have a TV? Will I need special software?

Any input would be appreciated. I've been doing computers for 10+ years but haven't spent an hour during that entire time messing with TVs.
 
i use a tv tuner card and run a cable box into it to get all the channels it woks good and it comes with its own software for it
 
Yep, get a tv tuner card, make sure you get one of the newer hdtv tuner cards though.
 
i was just curious, what (if any) difference is there between reg tv & gettin a tuner card? i know 1 of the great advantages of gettin the tuner card is its WAY cheaper than gettin a tv (esp w/ a good monitor), but what else?
 
First off, I highly recommend getting an HDTV Tuner Card that also has a QAM tuner. Most HD cards probably have them now anyway. The next step is making sure your PC is powerful enough to run that card. You really will need a dual core processor. I'm running one now on a AMD Athlon 3200+ and it's slow to change channels and the HD gets all sorts of wonky at times. I can't even think about using the software it came with to record tv. Keep in mind, you really won't be able to do a bunch of other stuff on the computer while watching the HD stuff unless you have a very powerful machine and even then, I'm not sure how much you can get away with.

Most cards should come with all the software you need. From the research i've done Haupage (I think that's how it's spelled) is the best. There are all sorts of custom made software set ups you can get for those cards free on the net. I have a Pinnacle and I'm just stuck using what came with the card. Then again, I only paid $20 for it on woot.com one day so i can't really complain.

The QAM tuner is for decoding cable through comcast (and probably other providers). Through the QAM tuner I can pick up whatever other people on my shared cable line are watching with On Demand along with all sorts of sports packages when those are going. It's a crap shoot, but hey, more free tv is more free tv.

I don't know what you're looking to spend, but guestimate about $50 to $100 on your HD card. I'd go for the PCI card over the usb stick if you can. Now really, after you spend that money, you're then going to be paying for cable which isn't cheap. If you really want cable my advice would be to just try and hold off a couple months and save for a decent HDTV. There are all sorts of good sales all the time nowadays. It would really suck if you invested in the card and cable and really don't get the use out of it you're expecting. I bought a 22" by LG for $300 over the summer and bought the same one for my mother just last month for $280. Also picked up a very nice 26" Toshiba for my pops at the same time for only $400 (these were there anniversary gifts). I've got a 32" LG in the other room but I barely spend much time in there unless I have friends over to watch sports or a lady friend by for a movie. I spent more on that but bought it a while ago. Prices are so much better now.

So bottom line, you should be fine if your PC can handle the card, but you'll be better off just investing in a new TV. Most of the HD sets in stores now also have the QAM tuners. Ask away with any other questions you have.
 
Allright, I appreciate the input, guys. I do have a fairly powerful PC: Dual Core 3.0GHz with an ATI 4850.

Plork, thanks for explaining QAM. I had briefly taken a look at it but nothing I had come up with was making much sense.

As for paying for the actual cable, I've looked at the prices. I'm going to be getting very very basic + the sports package. It's pretty much the local channels + some extra stuff + ESPN/2 etc. It'll be like $20/month. Pretty much any TV that I want to watch I can watch on Hulu, I basically want to get this so I can watch a sporting event now and then - NBA finals, World Series, March Madness, etc.

As for getting a HDTV, I have a 24" monitor @ 1900x1080, 2ms. I also have a 19" CRT that just sits around now that I got the 24". While neither is "huge", either one would be big enough for me. I'd much rather spend $100 on a tuner card than drop any amount of money on a HDTV.

And pillar, while I can't really comment on the pros and cons since I've never had a TV, I think you can see why I'm choosing to try this route.
 
No problem man. Yeah, the QAM tuner is kind of confusing. I guess basically it's supposed to help get rid of cable boxes but cable companies want no part of that.

What company would your cable be through? Do you live in a populated area? Is cable already running to your house/apt? If it is, just try plugging into it. Many times, especially in populated areas, they never send a tech around to cut off the cable because it costs more to do that when they could have that tech out installing new customers. In some cities basic cable will still be running through your line because it's a shared line. You may only get basic but with the QAM tuner you may get a lot more.

Research the poop out of a card before you buy it, then install it and see what you can get before even ordering the cable.

As far as watching sports (I'm a big sports nut too), all you really need is your local sports channel (fox sports net/comcast sports net/or whatever it might be), TNT for NBA coverage, ESPN and the duece, and TBS for baseball (their coverage stinks though). That along with over the air channels should cover all the playoffs you'll need along with games from your local team. On Saturdays I pick up ESPN U with the QAM tuner and get a bunch of basketball games and football during that season, in HD (this is all through the QAM tuner on my tv but the PC card does the same thing).

I'd still recommend just spending a little extra and getting a TV though. You don't have to go huge and you could always hook it up as a second monitor.
 
> What company would your cable be through?
Cox

> Do you live in a populated area?
Yes. OKC. :D

> Is cable already running to your house/apt?
Well, I have cable internet. And it's an apt complex.

> If it is, just try plugging into it. Many times, especially in populated areas, they never send a tech around to cut off the cable because it costs more to do that when they could have that tech out installing new customers. In some cities basic cable will still be running through your line because it's a shared line. You may only get basic but with the QAM tuner you may get a lot more.
OK, but since my Internet is via cable, do I need a splitter or what?
 
Ok, I don't know much about Cox cable, but since you are already getting cable internet I'm guessing you should already have at least basic cable running through that line. Split the line where it runs out of the wall, one to the modem and the other to the tv card.

I don't know what Cox will send through that a QAM tuner might get. My experience with cable is restricted to Comcast (which is absolutely horrible and I really need to switch over to satellite).

Please let me know how this all works out, I'm curious.
 
Well I ordered the WinTV HVR 1800 1129. I think I did enough research... well, I didn't feel like doing any more, for sure. :D If it gets too complicated I might just return it. We'll see...
 
Ok, I don't know much about Cox cable, but since you are already getting cable internet I'm guessing you should already have at least basic cable running through that line. Split the line where it runs out of the wall, one to the modem and the other to the tv card.

I don't know what Cox will send through that a QAM tuner might get. My experience with cable is restricted to Comcast (which is absolutely horrible and I really need to switch over to satellite).

Please let me know how this all works out, I'm curious.

Ok. Is this the kind of splitter I'm looking for?
 
Any coax splitter, I doubt you'd need one with 4 outs. Sounds like you don't need more than 2.
 
This is very much along the lines of Crawlerz post but I haven't actually gotten that far. Here goes:

I don't have a TV, but I'd like to get cable through my PC. What do I need? Do I need a TV tuner card or a video capture card? Will my cable company freak out if they show up to do an install and I don't have a TV? Will I need special software?

Any input would be appreciated. I've been doing computers for 10+ years but haven't spent an hour during that entire time messing with TVs.

mrCool, there is a ton of conflicting info that you gotto read. and always ALWAYS read the damn reviews. for watching TV on your PC you need a tuner card. HD card with QAM and ATSC right? with the QAM you can watch free HD channels w/o a cable box (like I do) BUT! here's the clincher: apparently vista's Media Center doesn't work with QAM out of the box. for that you can download TVpack (patch for MC) that'll let you see QAM.
you also want to be aware that tuner cards heat up quite well. maybe buy some cooling. stock may not do it. you may want to get the card I got - AVerMedia http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100014
 
Ok well I don't even have a media center PC - i have XP home. I already ordered a card, it should be here tomorrow. I guess we'll see what happens. :D appreciate the input, though.
 
Ok well I don't even have a media center PC - i have XP home. I already ordered a card, it should be here tomorrow. I guess we'll see what happens. :D appreciate the input, though.

plz PM me or something - I'm dying to know dude. my experience hasn't turned out well, although I've rethought RMA'ing the card. I still cannot see good quality BUT I can now see all my QAM channels after I downloaded TVpack for media center. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the qaulity sucks out loud. signal seems to be fine.
 
plz PM me or something - I'm dying to know dude. my experience hasn't turned out well, although I've rethought RMA'ing the card. I still cannot see good quality BUT I can now see all my QAM channels after I downloaded TVpack for media center. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the qaulity sucks out loud. signal seems to be fine.

Ok, well, I'll keep it short cause I'm busy. QAM in OKC seems to be very limited. I got the card working fine, using WinTV v6 for now. It found a few QAM channels whereas Beyond TV hasn't found any. I ordered cable and they'll be here tomorrow to install. I'd say the quality on the QAM channels is "pretty good." Not "HD" but not "sucks out loud" either. Lol. I was hoping for a little better quality from a $99 card, but we'll see after the cable guy gets here. Stay tuned. ;)
 
Ok. Ordered cable. Quality is pretty good. I don't think I can get HD w/o an actual HDTV. The tuner only supports analog cable, not digital, and since some of my channels are digital, I can't use the computer to control the channels - I have to use the cable box. So, I think I might either look for a tuner card that supports digital cable or get a plain video capture card, because the tv tuner part really isn't doing much for me. I can DVR the analog channels, and I can record the digital channels, but I can't DVR schedule them.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top