- Joined
- Dec 18, 2008
- Messages
- 213
Hey guys, I have some questions about formatting/partitioning hard drives. Here's my situation:
When I first bought my computer I bought it with two 74gb 10,000rpm raptor hard drives in Raid0 configuration. Right around this time last year, I had both of those filled to where I couldn't even defragment anymore. So at that point I decided to buy a 750gb seagate and use that to store all of my music/pictures/documents. That solved the problem for about a year, but now I am back up again to where I cant even defragment again.
So today I was thinking and I came up with an idea. My idea was to create a new partition on the 750gb drive and make an exact copy of the 150gb raid drive onto the new partition. Then I would format the 150gb raid drive and boot up off of the new partition. That way I could install all of the programs that are read/write intensive onto the raid drive because of the 10,000rpm, and have everything else on a partition of the big 750gb drive.
I am not very experienced when it comes to raid configurations and what not so any insight you guys have will be really helpful. Thanks!
When I first bought my computer I bought it with two 74gb 10,000rpm raptor hard drives in Raid0 configuration. Right around this time last year, I had both of those filled to where I couldn't even defragment anymore. So at that point I decided to buy a 750gb seagate and use that to store all of my music/pictures/documents. That solved the problem for about a year, but now I am back up again to where I cant even defragment again.
So today I was thinking and I came up with an idea. My idea was to create a new partition on the 750gb drive and make an exact copy of the 150gb raid drive onto the new partition. Then I would format the 150gb raid drive and boot up off of the new partition. That way I could install all of the programs that are read/write intensive onto the raid drive because of the 10,000rpm, and have everything else on a partition of the big 750gb drive.
I am not very experienced when it comes to raid configurations and what not so any insight you guys have will be really helpful. Thanks!


















