Using a Prepaid Debit Card On Paypal/Online Shopping Tutorial

Beta

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
5,891
Introduction

Hello. If you're like me, you probably do not own a real credit/debit card, or do not have a use for one. But, as we all know, you can not insert a 10 dollar bill into your DVD drive to buy online merchandise.

Prepaid credit cards are similar to the average credit card, except you do not use it to access an account, but a pre-defined amount. Prepaid credit cards sold by value. They mostly come in $25/50/100 varieties. They are available at most supermarkets, your local 7-11's, online, etc. To purchase the prepaid credit card, locate the section where they are assigned. They come in a paper casing to protect anyone from stealing info on them. They are similar to this:

209580-reloadable-prepaid-wal-mart-moneycards-are-displayed.jpg

NOTE: The color/design of Prepaid Debit cards will differ throughout the year, because these cards are gift based, and usually take on the skin of a specific holiday (Valentine's Day, Christmas, Etc.)

Now, when purchasing one of these cards, you will have to pay the amount the card will hold (25/50/100) and a small activation fee, which varies between providers.

NOTE: Most prepaid debit cards are non-renewable, they can not be refilled. Once it is depleted of funds, its useless. The best way to dispose of it is by cutting it into small pieces, so that it can not be reconstructed.

Using Online/In Stores
Once you purchase your card, you are all ready to go! make sure to check the amount on the card by calling the toll free number located on the back of the card and entering its info. Your not quite done yet. Some companies require a manual activation via phone or internet (Such as VISA). Others are ready to go (Such as MasterCard).

Once you handled the activation, you can now shop online. And, with variety, comes pros and cons. VISA Prepaid Debit cards WILL Sync with a paypal Account. Greendot and MasterCard Prepaid Debit cards WILL NOT sync with your paypal. VISA Prepaid debit cards are accepted on most major web retailers. MasterCard and GreenDot are not as accepted as the VISA card. When entering card info, enter it as any other credit/debit card.

NOTE: Steam accepts VISA, Not MasterCard/GreenDot.

Paypal Syncing
As stated before, Paypal works great with VISA, not MasterCard/GreenDot.

To add a Prepaid Debit Card, log into your account, and go to the "Profile" Link located under the "Send Money/Request Money" Bar. In the drop down menu, there is an Option to 'Add or Edit A Credit Card'. Add the info in the selected fields and wallah! You are now able to use paypal without a bank account.

Summary/Additional Notes

Once a card is synced to a paypal, it will not show its current funds in the display box on your Paypal's main page. Thats normal. When checking out, your card should show up on the choice of payment page. If you need to check your balance, use the toll free number located on the back of the card to find out.

I have only had experience with the MasterCard/VISA cards. If I had to choose, I would personally suggest you choose the VISA card. The VISA card is more reliable online as is paypal friendly. I have not used the GreenDot Card, but, after studying it, it has proven to be a inferior card to the VISA card.

As Always, be careful on what sites you shop.

Do Not Rip Without Permission Of Beta
 
Last edited:
Nice tutorial.

But the really scary thing is that Beta and Autoaim both have the same avatars, and sigs!!. :D
 
Vote for Sticky, this is actually quite useful, I'd hate to see it on page 8963967394 just because the replies stop

Dont spam this thread though >.>
 
**UPDATE**

Wal-mart now has their own line of Prepaid debit cards, but i doubt they work as good as Visa-Based cards because its Green-Dot Based.
 
Do you need to be 18+ years old to buy those thing? Cuz i wish i could buy things on Steam, but my parents don't want to pay for online things and they think it's too risky.
 
I <3 you beta. My parents are like" NO STEAM WILL STEAL OUR MONYZ "

So maybe I'll be buying some new games :P

Or spending all my money on EVE online.. :(
 
I <3 you beta. My parents are like" NO STEAM WILL STEAL OUR MONYZ "

So maybe I'll be buying some new games :P

Or spending all my money on EVE online.. :(

Naw steam is very secure. I bought almost all my recent computer games from it.
Get Oblivion or Mount and Blade.

Nice guide.... I am going to have to try that sometime.
 
If it was possible, I would bake some cookies, e-mail them to you, you print them out and eat them. But alas, I cannot, for the internet be a cruel mistress.

Thanks Beta, this was really helpful.
*Tries to shove cookies in DVD drive*
 
If it was possible, I would bake some cookies, e-mail them to you, you print them out and eat them. But alas, I cannot, for the internet be a cruel mistress.

Thanks Beta, this was really helpful.
*Tries to shove cookies in DVD drive*

Glad to help :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top