Mouse causing lag in Valve Games

Ducttape

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
2,473
Anyone else having this problem?

Whenever I'm in a Valve Game (TF2, L4D, DOD) whenever I move my mouse my game lags.

If I only use the WASD keys to move around, no lag. As soon as I use the mouse, lag.

The mouse works fine with everything else, and my PC is in tip-top shape

I did switch out the mouse with a cheap usb mouse - the replacement mouse worked fine :confused:

Before I buy a new mouse, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas?
 
i have never heard of this problem before..but before u do anything try checking 2 make sure that ur have the most updated USB drivers ..im assuming ur using USB slots built onto the motherboard rather than a hub..sometimes i have heard that the hubs draw in too much power..and or PSU's not meeting the power demands..i had this issue with my laptop where it would not be able to power a Free Agent Go hard drive correctly..had to buy a dual USB cable to power it
 
Hey I think one thing thats important here is to identify what exactly you mean by "lag". The term lag is used for any slowdown when I think it should really only be used for... well, lag.

Can you clarify whether you mean framerate slowdowns, internet lag, or mouse lag (also known as input lag)?

Either way, it sounds almost as if your mouse drivers for some reason are causing a conflict with the source engine. My first suggestion would be to remove any mouse drivers you have installed and reinstall them if you havent done so already. Also, if you say you are planning to buy a new mouse to fix it... try and find an old mouse thats lying around and try that out first, may save you money and a headache.

Its also just possible something has become corrupt in your windows or game installations and either windows, or your games may need to be reinstalled (im assuming you run windows, but whatever your OS is).

Good luck, and if I was you, I would search on google and see if anyone else has had a similar issue, and see what they did to fix it.
 
Woo-Hoo - problem was resolved with that last update from Valve :)

There must have been something in the update prior to the one on 3/5 that was causing the issue; as soon as the update on 3/5 was downloaded, my problem stopped. Don't know why it wasn't specifically mentioned in the update, but the issue was resolved.

It was very frustrating; when I googled the problem, someone said the issue was something about users with mice with polling rates of 1000 or higher and using ATI cards were affected; seems like there would have been a lot more of an uproar if that were true, though...anyways, maybe that's why when I tried the cheap usb mouse it worked?
 
Back
Top