File sharing on Linux, answer ASAP please

BioHazardd

Active Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
332
K, so my project at my co-op for the moment is to copy files from a server that is sitting beside me, to my computer that I'm working on.
Both are running Ubuntu Server..

How do I get them to "see" each other? Windows you go through that network setup wizard, no such luck with Linux .. Theres probably sudo blah blah commands that I don't know. They are both plugged in to the same network I'm just not sure how to set up "Shares" I believe is what their known as in Linux ..

Anyone?
 
I'll give Samba a shot.. I'm just really unsure how to share folders on the server computer as I don't have a GUI, so it's all command prompt
 
chris@chris:~$ sudo aptitude install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages have been automatically kept back:
firefox-3.0 firefox-3.0-gnome-support libpng12-0 xulrunner-1.9 xulrunner-1.9-gnome-support
The following packages have been kept back:
firefox firefox-gnome-support
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done

Apparently it didn't work ..?
 
Samba's pretty easy to install and configure. Once you run 'sudo apt-get install samba' all there there really is to do is run smbpasswd and modify your /etc/samba/smb.conf file and restart the service with /etc/init.d/samba restart to load your changes.
 
Apparently it didn't work ..?

It looks like it's working....not really sure why it's talking about firefox though.. Have you run sudo apt-get update? I normally use sudo apt-get install instead of aptitude.. not sure what the difference is though.
 
Samba's pretty easy to install and configure. Once you run 'sudo apt-get install samba' all there there really is to do is run smbpasswd and modify your /etc/samba/smb.conf file and restart the service with /etc/init.d/samba restart to load your changes.

Okay, but as you can see from my above post, Samba didn't properly install..
 
To get on irc from your box run 'sudo apt-get install irssi'
irssi
type /server irc.gamesurge.net
/nick biohazardd
/join #edgegamers

I'll be around for a bit... not too long though

edit 1: I keep posting while you are posting and ending up late :( I don't have skype chat.

edit 2: Did you try running 'sudo apt-get install samba' ? instead of aptitude? That's after running a 'sudo apt-get update'
 

Latest posts

Back
Top