Avast or AVG?

Joined
Dec 20, 2008
Messages
120
Im looking to get rid of Norton Anitivirus, and it seems these two are the best free choices. What does everybody prefer? Also which one plays best with Steam?
 
AVG but remember, it detects MASSIVE amount of false-positives but also a lot of actual viruses as well.
If you ever have a serious problem, just run AVG in safe mode and let it delete w/e. It may delete some stuff thats not bad but at least it will get everything.
 
i use mcafee and it is pretty good becasue it fixed my computer about 4 times already from viruses, cookies, and everything else :]
 
i use avast, its pretty good to where i would want to get the paid version, but have no money at the moment, it doesnt mess with any games and runs with steam perfect, detects viruses easy and its easy to use, avg i used once but slowed my computer down and i didnt like how it used false virus alerts which bugged me, avast is my favorite in my opinion
 
In my opinion use AVG. I'm using Avast only because awhile back I had problems with AVG and Firefox 3.0, so I had to go with Avast.

Pickles
 
I've got Avira and it's awesome haven't had any virus's and you can tell it when to run updates and also scans, "i found really nice since i heard Avast to hard for me."
 
Well I was using the free AVG and now I have the 3 client version that I paid for, on my second year of this subscription. I like norton but it tends to be a resource hog, and macaffee is even worse on resources.
 
I use Norton Corporate and have no troubles. It has low overhead and catches everything. But if you need to pick between those 2, Get AVG and also use Threatfire. What AVG doesn't catch, Threatfire will. It is also free and is amazing. Been on MaxPC Top list so long, peeps overlook it. Check into it.
 
Despite what I said in my other post, Kaspersky is by far the best "daily use" AV program.
AVG I simply use when my computer is in a really bad spot.
 
Thanks for responses everybody. Based on the overwhelming response, i've decided on AVG and it seems really good. Its non-intrusive which is a nice change over norton.
 
AVG FTW! It will remove ANYTHING that is the smallest threat, let alone detect any activity. Also, Avast!'s interface is too confusing...
 
I'd also agree with AVG. The last time I checked (it's been months) Avast didn't actually remove anything from your system, it merely notified you and "quarantined" the infected files.
 
Personally, I go with Avast.
It only scares me when the lady randomly says, "Virus Database is now updated" Never had a virus since Norton. Gosh, Norton needs to just stop selling. It's been the biggest pain ever. I got like 2 or 3 viruses from it. Slowed down my pc so bad. >.< BLEH.
 
well, avast actually detects more virusses than AVG does therfore it is a better antivirus program, but avg is easier to use.

avast has a more thorough scanner but avg ....well i cant think of anything to support avg with.

I have used both and I really liked avg, thought it was awesome, until I found avast and found multiple worms, rootkits, etc that had been in my computer for weeks that avg had no idea about.

-Blue
 
Since I deal with college students and their computer issues at work, here is my run down:
Avast: Doesn't always get the virus you are trying to get rid of. Often slows down the computer with pointless start up scans, and needless addon options that are pointless.

AVG: Very lite, very easy to use, annoying when you miss updates. Often asks for unneeded restarts. Does a very good job, when it does do a full scan, which can take like a day if the computer is slow and old.

TBH: I have AVG on both my laptop and my desktop, but I never scan with it. Its like buying car insurance when you never get into an accident, its great if you have it, but if you don't have it, you're not going to lose sleep over it.

In the end: Have AVG for the little every day stuff, and if you think that you truly have something infecting your computer, usually XP Antivirus 2009(or 2010, anti-virus-1, or Antivirus 360), just keep MalwareBytes Anti-Malware installed and updated on your computer. It will remove everything like bleach removes color from your fine =(eGO)= gear.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top