Is anyone running I-Ram?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tech
  • Start date Start date
Well I heard about it, thought about ordering one, to check it out, then I forgot about it :P

But for some reason I doubt it's able to do a improvement as it says.
 
You can install your OS on it an boot amzingly fast ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jFpIt6bw8[/ame]
 
Yup. Had a pair of them for a while. Downside is capacity. 4G (4x1G) of DDR1 RAM max. They also don't play nice in RAID-0 (trying to get it to 8G). Used a PCI slot. Older SATA spec.

That said - these RAM based SSDs are lightning fast, faster then my velociraptors. The ANS-9010/ANS-9010b take DDR2 RAM, have 6-8 slots (depending on version), one or two SATA-II ports, battery backup, and a CF card backup. Fast enough that the RAID card starts to become the bottle neck.
 
Wait...there has to be some kind of external power (even a floppy connector) that's needed to power it. SDRAM is volatile, without power, it looses all information (which is why a reboot may help a slow computer speed up temporarily...until the RAM fills up again). Sure it'd be blazing fast (for 2006 at least), but the moment you shut down...you're SOL.

Unless I'm missing something...and I very well may be.

EDIT: Lol, I missed the onboard battery and that it drew power from the PCI slot. Disregard most of my post...:D

~Gooda~
 
Yup. The iRam took power from the PCI slot, the acard have a SATA power supply like a hard drive.

The Acard will auto back up to a CF card if you cut the main power, with about 3-4 hours of battery backup for the RAM. The iRAM did about two hours by the time I sold them off.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top