Why Did MAUL Crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
​

Why did we post the Big eGO news? Why did MAUL go down? Why why why?

Well we will tell you why: HostGator decided to cut our webhosting off because we were using too much bandwidth. This is despite having a Professional Account with them. They did not tell us in advance, they did not give any warning, they just turned us off. We asked why and they said something to the effect that we were using more than our fair share of bandwidth.

So, we scrambled around and got another server from SoftLayer and we are going to do our own hosting for MAUL and some other things that keep eGO running like a fine tooled machine.

It took Kendle and Dominion over 9 hours of work to get the server, set up the server, get DB's online, line out each game server with the admin DB.

An all day affair thanks to Host Gator's professional webhosting account. Well, we guess you know you have a big eGO when Host Gator kicks you out!

Not to mention taking up our Advisors, DL's and Council people's time adming servers thru rcon.

Thanks everyone for your hard work!
 
Last edited:
I would like to offer my sincere thanks for the work that anyone in eGO did to get MAUL back up and running. Without your help, we would currently be without universal admin. A special thanks goes out to Kendle and Dominion for their incredible work to buy a server, and get it up and running in under 10 hours. That takes a lot of know how, determination, and energy. eGO and I immensely value what has been done. Thanks again guys!!!!! :D
 
6.) Cancellations and Refunds
HostGator reserves the right to cancel the account at any time with or without notice. <--B.S

(As well with other disclaimers)
Just because it is in the contract does not mean its 100% proof. You can still be sued

I could probably pull up hundreds of cases that would back that up, but not here to worry
about HOSTgater.

But to congratulate the guys and gals who worked hard in the situation that was handed to them abruptly. Good job guys and long life =eGO=
 
To everyone involved in solving the problem...THANK YOU! I figured something was up with Maul when I saw the little button at the top of the forums said Maul is offline. I really didn't realize how much went into keeping this well oiled machine running.

And as for the whole Host Gator thing....as a consumer, I've about had enough of the "UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH!" marketing and sales messaging that all the service providers offer, only to rip it away from you when they feel you've hit some mysterious and secretive "limit" to the "unlimited" part. I realize it's all in the fine print, but that's just unprofessional and reeks of bait and switch to me. I've had this happen to me with Verizon EVDO service, Comcast and even Hughes Satellite. I'm now a DSL user and while my speeds aren't top-shelf compared to cable or FIOS, I can safely say that my bandwidth is what I pay for.

Thank you all again!
 
The reason I got my account closed was because of the amount of queries open at one time creating a server load of 2 on average. They also claim that I created the mysql server to drop making all customers to loose connectivity with anything sql based. Seems they cant handle over 50 requests which have a 15 second timeout :eek:. Digg.com would own that if your page would make front page.

I cannot blame them besides the fact that they should have informed me what actions they were taking. Also the trouble tickets were not answered quickly and the phone support was very unqualified. Oh, and that access host's could have been disabled instead of turning off mysql on my account and also blocking all servers from accessing kendlesworld.com. They also disallowed backups of my databases until 8 hours later so even though I had a solution, I could not get MAUL imported.

All in all, we should have been on a dedicated box a while ago and HostGator is still 99.9% better than all resellers out there for shared hosting plans. They have the right to protect their customers on the overpopulated boxes.

I will continue to be a customer of HostGator, but nothing intensive.
 
We didn't really want to advertise that our admin and bans were down in the earlier news posts. Not a good thing to do when you are famous for banning people who are punks.

So true! I would have hated to have another "Oops Steam IDs changed!" moment!

Thanks to Dominion and Kendle! Job well done, guys!

Thanks to all the Advisors, DLs, and Council people who stepped in as Substitute MAUL!

Thanks to all the G's and O's who rushed to the servers so there'd be admins around if needed!

We really do have the best clan around...

(And besides: another server moved to SoftLayer can only be a net positive :D)
 
Thanks, guys. I know that must have been brutal.

Quick question... does MAUL work with mani mod, or just source mod? I don't know if SM will ever be fixed, but the lag on a loaded server is causing massive amounts of people to jump ship and head to other servers.
 
Thanks, guys. I know that must have been brutal.

Quick question... does MAUL work with mani mod, or just source mod? I don't know if SM will ever be fixed, but the lag on a loaded server is causing massive amounts of people to jump ship and head to other servers.

couldn't edit my original message, sorry.

I see that SM 1.2 was released, i wonder if that fixed it :(
 
jeeze great job to the higher ups (dl,advisor, ect..) for adming during the down.

this deserves a wag of the finger @ host gator
 
Building a shrine for our leadership, send me hair and nail clippings please.
 
I tried to be a hero, I went on the servers hoping that I was one of the lucky ones who got it back early...

...but alas I wasn't.

Good job on getting it back up quickly though! I can't believe those guys would just cut you off, with NO warning at all. I know one company I'll never use if I need to host something...
 
1 word... JAIL! I would like to thank all the admins that stuck around jail to keep it running and safe. We had 9 hours of fun!
 
Thank you leadership, and everyone who rushed to the servers or RCon. We really got a lot of help :D

Also, yea, this is the best clan around. You know it when a webhost just randomly gets rid of you without professional ways. Thanks again, Kendle, Dominion, and everyone else involved with getting the MAUL back up. You deserve an award :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top