Mobo+cpu compatability

Fuzion

Active Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
259
I plan on upgrading my cpu sometime in the future, right now i'm on a celeron d 3.33ghz, but my budget isn't big enough to pay for a new motherboard.

My current motherboard is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00864922

So my question is, could i run any other processors than the ones listed?

I'm looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116070

and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

Also, on the site with my mobo specs it says Front-side bus (FSB)

* 800/533 MHz (processor dependent) what exactly does it mean by "processor dependent"?


Thanks ;)
 
The socket type for both the mobo and the processor is an LGA 775, so theoretically it should work although I have no idea if it would for sure as it's not listed.
As for the FSP, I think it just means it can be either of those MHz depending on the processor.

EDIT: Think I was wrong. Quoted from another site:

Motherboard / [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]processor[/COLOR][/COLOR] compatibility usually comes down to what chipset your motherboard has. In your case, you have the ATI RC415 Northbridge. I couldn't find much information on that particular chipset, unfortunately. But, I did find this page listing the specs of a HP/Compaq computer with that same motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc [...] 922&cc=us&

According to what that page says, it looks like your board is not compatible with Core2Duo. You can use Pentium D, however.

-TyShoe
 
Last edited:
yeah my bad post edited. i thought he had picked out pentium 4's, was lookin at the wrong tab. i hate workin on this 15 inch monitor.

yeah duo's wont work it uses a different power configuration.

-Blue
 
yeah my bad post edited. i thought he had picked out pentium 4's, was lookin at the wrong tab. i hate workin on this 15 inch monitor.

yeah duo's wont work it uses a different power configuration.

-Blue

Heh I feel your pain. I had a 15" before I had this 24" and 19" dual linked. Makes all the difference in the world!
 
DO NOT BE DECEIVED BY THE APPARENT COMPATIBILITY OF THE SOCKETS. I had this problem when I built my computer. Feel free to buy another processor that will fit your socket, but KEEP YOUR OLD ONE. Your processor may not be supported by the BIOS, so you may have to swap back to your old processor in order to do a BIOS flash.
 
Back
Top