Since we're already talking AV software...

s3rv0

Famous
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
553
I have an interesting AV question. I've personally used Avast, AVG, and Spybot in the past and they've served me pretty well.

I've had a unique problem posed to me: I've been asked to remove files (.mp3's and old word documents and projects) from a severely infected HDD onto a new one that has only a clean install of windows on it, and has yet to ever be brought onto the internet. Of course I want to install a few AV programs on that clean disk first, but I'm not sure which for this situation. Obviously, given that I'm transferring upwards of 20 gigs of files and there's no DVD burner on this machine, I would like to just use a crossover cable and transfer the files straight from the dirty machine onto the clean HDD hooked up to a secondary machine.

What is the safest way to do this to ensure that no malware seeps over in the file transfer? I'm not sure that this is something I need to worry about at all really, but I know it can and does happen, such as when worms or viruses propagate over a business network.

To sum it up: How should I transfer tens of thousands of files (~20-30 gigs) from a dirty HDD to a clean one while making 100% sure there is absolutely no risk, or the most minimal risk possible, of infecting the clean disk?

And no, I don't know what kind of malware is on the dirty machine, the person in question for whom I'm doing this doesn't really know. It sounds like some stubborn adware/malware that prevents the usage of AV software like Spybot and Adaware, because they say while those programs have been installed, as soon as evidence of the malware became clear (popups when no browser is open, redirected google searches, etc.), he was unable to run those programs or visit their sites anymore. We'll just assume whatever the malware is, it's stubborn and icky and doesn't shave its legs and we don't wanna try to remove it, just go the easy route and use the shiny new HDD for files and wipe the old one when we're done.

Thanks!
 
From my understanding AVG installed on the new drive should be able to detect of something has been infected in the new drive. I think it is only in the paid version since what I am saying is a real-time feature of the program. I would suggest doing a safe mode boot with the infected drive. Scan it over to make sure nothing is there or left over. Transfer over and take your chances? Depending on the kind of malware some of it my not be detected in the transfer process because it is only detected when its active(ex. starting up a executable file) I suggestion would be to be on the safe side do not move it to the fresh drive first. Find a spare drive or computer to transfer and check out the files. Make sure what ever was on the infected drive did not transfer over so yo know you are on the clear.
 
if you want to be paranoid and make sure absolutely nothing gets over.

transfer over into just a regular folder, then scan that folder with as many anti virus, anti-rootkit, anti-everything.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=190538 <==(that should help )

From my understanding viruses need to either executed, either by the user, or a remote user on the internet. So iit would be smart to not be conected to the internet while doing this
 
Don't worry about music files or video files being infected. They can't be under most circumstances. You can't really embed an exe into any of those so it's not really an issue.

One thing you can do.
Use Deep Freeze
It's an application that, when running, saves the current state just before you started the program. As if you put your computer into a "deep freeze"
You can now copy everything over that you believe is not infected and, over the period of maybe a day or more make sure none of the symptoms come back.

http://www.faronics.com/html/choose.asp

EDIT: oh and remember to uninstall it after your done with it or everything you restart your computer it will be back to that state XD
 
what i'd recommend is get a spare pc, throw the infected HDD on that, boot it in safe mode, install NOD or a similarly good AV, and blast the hell out of all those pesky infections. then concentrate everything on the HDD into one file, zip it (so nothing on it can run itself) and transfer it over to the clean HDD. after you've done all this, scan that file and the whole new HDD with NOD or a similarly good AV and if any viruses/spyware/adware survives that, it was made by Chuck Norris ;p
 
1. (optional) Create an image of your current Windows drive using an imaging tool like Acronis TI. This is for backup purposes only.

2. Download a boot CD like UBCD. UBCD, and tools like it, have built-in virus scanners. Open your box, plug in the infected drive, then boot from the CD. Use the virus scanner to scan the infected drive, and use the built-in file manager to move media files from the infected drive to the clean drive.

3. Shut down, unplug infected drive, boot into Windows.

4. ...

5. Profit!
 
2. Download a boot CD like UBCD. UBCD, and tools like it, have built-in virus scanners. Open your box, plug in the infected drive, then boot from the CD. Use the virus scanner to scan the infected drive, and use the built-in file manager to move media files from the infected drive to the clean drive.

3. Shut down, unplug infected drive, boot into Windows.

4. ...

5. Profit!

really good post there NCA, i'll look into that for some of my friends who need similar services, i didn't know such amazingly useful bootCDs existed!! thanks for the info!
 
Back
Top