Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc Question

ScrappyDoo

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Nov 7, 2008
Messages
4,560
Question of a different sort here:

I want some help in creating a formula in either Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc. Here's the situation.

Assume a spreadsheet has data in columns A, B, and C. (Doesn't matter to how many rows. Say 1-10.)

So, in column D, I have the formula: =A1+B1+C1.

With my mouse, if I click on the little black square in the bottom right corner, I can drag that formula down column D so that D2 becomes: =A2+B2+C2 and D3 becomes: =A3+B3+C3, etc.

Is there a way I can freeze part of the formula to not change as I drag it down column D? In other words, is it possible to have D2 become: =A1+B2+C2 and then D3 become: =A1+B3+C3, and so on?
 
Question of a different sort here:

I want some help in creating a formula in either Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc. Here's the situation.

Assume a spreadsheet has data in columns A, B, and C. (Doesn't matter to how many rows. Say 1-10.)

So, in column D, I have the formula: =A1+B1+C1.

With my mouse, if I click on the little black square in the bottom right corner, I can drag that formula down column D so that D2 becomes: =A2+B2+C2 and D3 becomes: =A3+B3+C3, etc.

Is there a way I can freeze part of the formula to not change as I drag it down column D? In other words, is it possible to have D2 become: =A1+B2+C2 and then D3 become: =A1+B3+C3, and so on?

Well first off, I havent proficiently used Excel in a while, but maybe the following site will help you out: http://books.google.com/books?id=4nJoWGI1P8wC&printsec=frontcover&dq=microsoft+excel
^beleive it or not, i was actually tryin 2 do research on some math bit & stumbled upon this site by accident, but its great cause you can read books 4 free instead of payin up to $50 or more for em!!
 
The easiest way to do this is if there are some values in the formula that you want to stay constant is by using "$"

Ex: if you want to drag the formula and keep the COLUMN constant put a $ in front of the column designation, $B1


Ex: if you want to drag the formula and keep the ROWn constant put a $ in front of the row designation, B$1


Ex: if you want to drag the formula and keep the CELL constant put a $ in front of the column designation and row designation, $B$1

Hope this helps!

I have been working with Excel for about 6 years now and have found that it can do some pretty amazing things, things you would never imagine a spreadsheet could do
 
The easiest way to do this is if there are some values in the formula that you want to stay constant is by using "$"

Ex: if you want to drag the formula and keep the COLUMN constant put a $ in front of the column designation,


Ex: if you want to drag the formula and keep the ROW constant put a $ in front of the row designation, B$1


Ex: if you want to drag the formula and keep the CELL constant put a $ in front of the column designation and row designation, $1

It's "technically" called relative and absolute addressing, where absolute refers to using the $ sign. Very good (and simple!) explanation of it, MavRico.
 
Back
Top