Steam says "That game is currently unavailable."

frap

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
2,032
Every time I restart CSS I get that message. It has not always done that. I am running Windows 7 Beta build 7000. I have run an AVG scan, ad-aware scan, ccleaner, and no lunk anywhere. It just started doing that. I never have installed anything recently, I made no changes to this registry, and it just does it to me. Is there any fixes for that?

The exact error message is

"That game is currently unavailable.
Please try again at a later time"

This has been happening for a few days.

Thanks,
frap
 
Frap, I had this same problem a while back, after running though all the posted tests for this including changing the blob, defragging the game, checking for updates for the game (through right clicking on the game in your steam window) the only thing that worked was changing the name of my folder.. my username folder, this prompted it to make a new folder, the only problem with that was a short fix.. ie it worked for that day and the next I had the same problem. As a last resort I copied my map folder and deleted the entire contents and redownloaded everything and that was the only thing that worked.
 
Frap, I had this same problem a while back, after running though all the posted tests for this including changing the blob, defragging the game, checking for updates for the game (through right clicking on the game in your steam window) the only thing that worked was changing the name of my folder.. my username folder, this prompted it to make a new folder, the only problem with that was a short fix.. ie it worked for that day and the next I had the same problem. As a last resort I copied my map folder and deleted the entire contents and redownloaded everything and that was the only thing that worked.
Thank you, I will give this a try and tell you the results.
 
Unfortunately, this did not work. I tried doing it and it worked once, but only once. The next time I try and restart it did the same thing.
 
I've been getting the same error. Mostly with Unreal 3, although there are a lot of games I haven't tried to launch in a while.

In addition to this error, i've noticed the game starts downloading updates and stops instantly about every 2 minutes. This all started about the same time I started having choke issues and loss issues while in games.
 
i had this exact problem with insurgency. It was caused when I tried to copy and paste my steam folder from my vista install to my windows 7 install. unfortunately the only thing that worked(and trust me i tried everything) was a complete uninstall of everything steam, and a reinstall.

Im pretty sure its a registry problem caused by inconsistencies between windows 7 and other OS's.

did you cleanly reinstall steam when you got windows 7 or did you copy and paste folders like me?

-Blue
 
Last edited:
i have try it one time the says is was unviable and i press ok and starting the game again .;)
 
Ok, so I found a way to consistently launch the game (unreal 3 for me). I went to the file folder in my steam apps and then made a shortcut from the game to the desktop. I have to use the shortcut or it won't work. You may want to try deleting your local files from steam games window and then move the folder out of steam apps and move it back and add the game again.
 
yeah verifying game integrity under your "my games" shortcuts' properties might work too.

-Blue
 
i had this exact problem with insurgency. It was caused when I tried to copy and paste my steam folder from my vista install to my windows 7 install. unfortunately the only thing that worked(and trust me i tried everything) was a complete uninstall of everything steam, and a reinstall.

Im pretty sure its a registry problem caused by inconsistencies between windows 7 and other OS's.

did you cleanly reinstall steam when you got windows 7 or did you copy and paste folders like me?

-Blue

I did a clean install.

Ok, so I found a way to consistently launch the game (unreal 3 for me). I went to the file folder in my steam apps and then made a shortcut from the game to the desktop. I have to use the shortcut or it won't work. You may want to try deleting your local files from steam games window and then move the folder out of steam apps and move it back and add the game again.

Unfortunately, this did not work.

yeah verifying game integrity under your "my games" shortcuts' properties might work too.

-Blue

This did not work either :/

I think I am going to reformat to xp
 
We'll I reformatted and I'm back on XP Now. I'm reinstalling CSS atm so I can play ASAP :P
 
um that happens all the time

restart steam (end process and run it again.), no need to mess with the registry
 
um that happens all the time

restart steam (end process and run it again.), no need to mess with the registry
As I've said before..I restarted my computer many times, restarted the tasks, services, ext. and none of them worked. So, I put XP on there. Flash videos were also messing up with me so I needed to reformat for that as well.
 
I think this happens to some games because when you close the game Steam still finds the process running and won't let you start another version of the game. The only fix that I have found is to go to the "Task Manager" and stop the process "Steam.exe" and then restart Steam.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top