DELL problem - apparently hardware -

Crawlerz

Poster
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
174
Dear forum readers!

I have a stock DELL 2.4GHz core2duo, 2GB RAM, 8800GTX vid, 320GB HDD, Vista Home premium, 2ms monitor, etc.

I have been experiensing strange things... A few weeks ago (as you all know by now) I bought/installed a AVer TV tuner card into a PCIe slot (apparently the only one) in my tower. (I haven't seen a PCIe slot before so I hope I haven't made a mistake.) It worked alright (I dl'd TVpack for VMC to get it to work). Last few days the PC has been making bad noise at times (like harsh, very fast vibration) and yesterday I got the "cannot initialize third PCI (or was it PCIe?) slot" and won't start up.
Of course I opened the tower - everything looks right. I even took out/put back in the AVer card. Snapped back the PCI card holder too - it clicked. The PC seems to have started again. (Even before I actually opened the tower.) But now a bigger issue - the media center cannot "see" the cable signal! (Everything is plugged in - this actually began BEFORE I opened the tower.)
I have (through a splitter/amplifier) 2 cables running to my PC - one to analog tuner, the other to digital - both are screwed in fine - and IT WORKED BEFORE!

P.S. I ran scandisk to see if my HD is dying - it isn't - but what would it show anyway? Virus scans are coming up clean. WHAT IS GOING ON?

P.P.S. I have a 320GB HDD (it says so on the actual harddrive) but the PC has always showed it as 298GB HDD total - why guys? It has always been that way - since day one - so no virus. (I have no partitions except apparently an invisible 47mb system partition.)

P.P.P.S. I'm still mulling over a future build in my mind and online. Just putting parts together - I'm very slow that way. I was wondering - what is GO stepping - and as opposed to any other - I mean C1 stepping?
 
RE P.P.S.: Most hard drives are that way. I think it's because some measurements use MiB, and some use MB (powers of 1024 vs. powers of 1000).
 
thank u kindly for replying Lance. I suspected this but really no one told me. Still other problems agrovate me to no end
 
Back
Top