Quick question...

Manana

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
289
I've currently got an HP Pavilion a6200n with an nvidia geforce 6150SE graphocs card. Can I upgrade this card to a 9800 GT, i.e. will this new card be compatible?

Thanks!
Manana!
 
The 9800 GT runs on a PCI Express 2.0 slot while your HP machine has a PCI Express x16. The video card will work on your PC, but it'll run at the slower x16 speed.

Your stock PSU may not have enough juice to power a computer with a high-end video card, so just check the output. If HP put in a weak 250W PSU, you'll need a new one.
 
If it is a 400+ wattage PSU, it will run just fine(they recommend 450+ but I have a friend running an 8800GT on 375 watts with a Q6600 just fine). As for the 2.0 card in a 1.1 slot, you will not see any speed decrease as we haven't even saturated the data rate of a 1.1 slot with any video cards yet I believe. If there is slow down, it will be minimal and probably unnoticeable. Definitely worth it. Just make sure you're PSU has the wattage.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top