Rig broke, think u have any ideas?

KingJames84

Poster
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
133
I already posted in a help forum about computers. The link to the forum is actually in my sig. I <3 that forum lol. Anyways I am just gonna copy and paste... If you have any ideas or suggestions please do post. I am gonna be out of action until I can get this solved. I think I either killed my mobo or my processor, lol. Or the cmos clearing is not taking, or I killed my bios. But the diagnostic lights still work and till show where it is getting stuck at.... anyways here is the post on eocf.

ok so i was trying to reach 3 ghz on my cpu again with the rig in sig. I had tried leaving the multiplier at 9 and bumping it from there. Well I got another idea to try lowering the multiplier to around 7 or 8 and upping the fsb to around 370 - 380. The first run at 375 by 8 booted and almost made it past the verifying dmi pool part. I couldn't remember the equation for the vid control so I left the cpu volts @ 1.55. I then upped the chipset voltage to 1.65ish or was it 1.7, dang it I can't remember exactlly now. Well anyways this ended in a no boot and a one beep error code with the diagnostic lights stuck on the 3rd light ( the cpu detection light) well I tried clearing the cmos, didn't work. Tried putting a single stick of different memory that always brought the mobo back to life after a cmos clearing. This didn't work... I tried popping the cmos battery and leaving the cmos jumper set to clear and the safe boot jumper set to on over night. This didn't work either. So I tried tearing the whole rig apart, cleaning it. Re running the water cooling lines. After I filled the system I noticed the 3rd diagnostic light is still on, and the system still isn't booting. Even after all that. So I have to either try an rma, or get some new parts and just keep messing with this rig to get it to boot.... great

Well seeing as how all my bills are paid for the month of april. And when I get my tax refunds they are going to total enough to pay off 90% of a loan I have out. So I have some cash to play with.

I already have an unused am2 6000+ and 4 gb of DDR 1066 g. skill. Just have to get ahold of my buddy to buy the ram. Got the ram for 40 bucks. it's used. I havn't bought it yet. but I want atleast a 4gb kit. If you guys have anything better to suggest i am open for ideas. That would leave me just to get a mob, and bam I would have a new rig to play with! If I went this route I would like for the mobo to be able to take an AM3 because I know I will upgrade the cpu again, and it will be at least another year or longer before I could upgrade drastically again.

Another option would be to go intel. There is a x38 in the for sale section, it's an abit board. The seller is asking 95 bucks for it. I would be the 3rd owner of the board though... I could then get an e8400 or a q8200 or a q6600 but that would require $300 bucks.... I would like to spend as little as possible. So that really leaves the amd option as the only viable option unless I can get the my current rig to boot.

I have an Asus 939 mobo that I a going to try before I shoot the gun and set my mind towards blowing money to upgrade. I am hoping i didn't fry the cpu... which is a possibility right now.


here is the amd mobo i have been looking at. it takes AM2/AM2+/AM3 so I could use the 6000+ and upgrade down the road when the time is right for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387
 
Actually, on your old rig try this, remove the battery set the jumper leave it overnight.

If your going for a new processor if this doesn't work, i recommend the Q6600, good base to OC and doesn't die as easily...
 
I have the Abit X38 QuadGT which I think is the motherboard you're referring to. It's an excellent board, but I paid $100 for a used one about 9 months ago. If you can talk down the price I would say go for it.
 
update to my situation. it was the mobo. I popped the asus board in and my pc works. But the pci-e slots on this board are messed, took me forever to figure out that enabling sli on the mobo through the jumper board would get the top pci-e slot to actually work. The bottom pci-e slot only works in 1x mode in non sli mode.... Which cause a constant lag... The expert I beleive needs re-flashed. I am gonna set this system aside, and hot flash the mobo to see if she will work. But until I get around to doing it.... I upgraded my system a bit.

Asus p5q
2x2gb G. skill 1066
E7400 (wanted the e8400, but just couldn't swing it this time around)
I did find a used e8400 for $110 bucks but someone bought before i could :( I am going nuts not being able to play on the eGO servers!!! New parts should be here tuesday - wednesday!


edit- I tried the over night cmos clear, actually it was about 2 two days, still a no go. I think the bios is messed or the board is dead, one of the two lol. Makes the 3rd board in 2 years :p I have a habit of killing pc parts :p
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top