after markey hd 4850 fan

shake_n_bake

Poster
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
231
So ive been running the fan at 65% and playing games at 1280 x 1240 with x8 aa and 16AF and i usually get 85-90 C while playing, but when i was running cod4 at 1600x1200 like that my card kept getting over 100C. So i was wondering if anyone knew a good solution to this? Anyone got any advice on after market coolers?
 
What kind of card to you have specificallty? I'm assuming you have a "stock" fan? The early 4850's came with standard/puny fans, but a lot of the newers ones (if not all) come with more massive fans. I know because I returned mine (it was defective) and the new one takes up 2 slots now due to the fan so I had to move my slot fan. You might want to try that first - a slot fan that sits next to the card. It's cheaper and easier than trying to add a bigger fan on to the card itself. I might even be able to send you mine because I have any use for it any more.
 
Btw, you lose you warranty ;) Unless your brand supports it, EVGA allows 3rd party coolers I think.
 
Last edited:
yeah unfortunately you're altering the hardware so no warranty...but then again with better cooling your card will last longer as long as you install it properly.
 
a 3rd party fan will fix your problem....

msi dose allow 3rd party coolers
 
Last edited:
Well, it worked for me. I don't think I ever got over 80 too much, but I wasn't playing Crysis. Mostly just TF2 @ 1900x1080 though.
 
Back
Top