I spy with my little eye....

100mhz diff...thats it.

Well thats not "IT". Research does the body good. Don't just read the Newegg specs and compare them 4870 specs ;)

No...it's not just 100Mhz and that's it:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYzNiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

HardOCP Gold Award.

And that :)

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYzNiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA== said:

it is set to fall into the sweet spot somewhere between the Radeon HD 4870 1GB and the Radeon HD 4870 X2.

The RV790 is not a new architecture. It is a modified and tweaked version of the RV770 architecture, which has proven its worth since its launch in June of 2008. It boasts 1.36 teraflops of computing power on its GPU core with a maximum power rating of 190 watts.

The GPU clock rate has been increased by 100MHz to 850MHz, and the memory clock rate has been increased by 75MHz, for an aggregate data-rate frequency of 3.9GHz, which is 300MHz over the Radeon HD 4870. Those clock speed increases have resulted in a 4 GigaTexel/sec texture fill-rate increase, a 1.6 GigaPixel pixel fill-rate increase, and a 9.8 GB per second increase in memory bandwidth.

In fact, you guys are going to see some awesome overclocks from this GPU, upwards to 1GHz!

^ Thats a tad more than a "just 100mhz" difference
 
Last edited:
Performance-wise nothing major in terms of frame rates (overclockersclub.com has like a bazillion reviews on the 4890's now, too lazy to link em)

Ill stick with my 1gb 4870 toxic :P
 
Awsome, I just got a newsletter from a Belgium shop too. THEY ARE IN STOCK !!
 
i got a 8800, when that breaks, ill buy one of ati's babies, but if nvidia get off their lazt butts and put out something worth buying, ill go back to them. bunch of morons there if you ask me -.-
 
i got a 8800, when that breaks, ill buy one of ati's babies, but if nvidia get off their lazt butts and put out something worth buying, ill go back to them. bunch of morons there if you ask me -.-

I agree.

But on that note I thought I shouldnt leave out the GTX 275s that came out today:
(Pretty much the exact same price and performance at the 4890)
The phrase: "Immovable Object, meets Unstoppable Force" comes to mind when I see these 2 cards trying to compete.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+275&x=0&y=0
 
Last edited:
The 4870 is still the better choice, the 4890 performs 10% better overall. But the price is 30% higher. (atleast in Belgian shops) So I think I'll buy the 4870. Unless the 4870 drops in price.
 
Back
Top