Need help ASAP troubleshooting no video output.

s3rv0

Famous
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
553
So yeah, brand new computer finally put together, up and running on my desk. Brand new monitor. I know the monitor works, I've been using it with our laptop the last few days. The PC, however, other than running, hasn't been used. The video card is a radeon 4870 X2 2gb, with 2 DVI outputs on the back. I've got a DVI cable going from that to my DVI input on my monitor. The video card has power, fans are going, monitor is on as well (duh), but I can't get any signal from either DVI port on the video card.

Edit:
Monitor input: DVI-D Dual Link
Video out: DVI-I Dual Link
Cable: DVI-D single link
Hope that helps.

Have new computer, can't use it! >< HALP!
 
Last edited:
have you tried plugging in another monitor...
just because the fans are working dont mean the card works.
 
You need to try the easy stuff first. Like bigbaddabooma said try different monitor try different cable if you have one, make sure vid card is seated all the way down and also are you sure your monitor only has DVI input. I'm only asking because mine has several inputs ( dvi, d-sub, s-video, video, ypbpr) and it has a button for you to select which input you want to use otherwise no video.
 
I kinda figured you guys would come around with those kind of answers, which I don't blame you at all for. I left out all the easy stuff to save time; I have no other monitor with DVI inputs, and no converters. Also there's no onboard video. Those were two of my troubleshooting steps as well. BUT, you can ignore this thread, because it appears there was a lot more wrong than just the video card. My mobo was DOA. I couldn't even get any POST beeps out of the thing, so I was really just left scratching my head wondering what all could possibly be wrong. Looks like another few weeks, minimum, of RMA+shipping until I can finally play TF2, unless god smiles on me and I win the eGO gaming laptop raffle, heh. -crosses fingers-



Thanks for all your help anyway guys!
 
did you remember to plug the power into the card itself?

Edit: lol, reread last post. day late & dollar short, sry
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top