Problem with headset

spoolinEvolution

Active Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
295
Okay heres the deal. I got a Plantronics DSP400 headset. It used to work before I reinstalled XP, now after installing the headset it doesnt seem to work. I updated all drivers after the reinstall.

In device manager under other devices, it says multimedia audio controller but it has a yellow question mark to it. Anyone know what is wrong? I really don't want to get rid of this headset because its pretty new and it was $90. I've been trying to fix it forever. The problem was worse because of missing SYS files but I finally got it installed, but now theres a multimedia controller problem. :facewall:


EDIT: In the meantime I'm going to try and splice my 360 headset with a headphone plug-in and see if it works..
 
Last edited:
Maybe something is wrong with where ever you are putting it (USB or Inputs)
Anyway if you can get your 360 headset to work, goodjob.
AND if you do, tell me how :laugh:
 
id suggest uninstalling it (the driver) after unplugging it. then restart go to your device manager make sure you dont see the driver with the ? mark and try to reinstall it if you dont see it. let me know what happens.
 
hmm.

Okay heres the deal. I got a Plantronics DSP400 headset. It used to work before I reinstalled XP, now after installing the headset it doesnt seem to work. I updated all drivers after the reinstall.

In device manager under other devices, it says multimedia audio controller but it has a yellow question mark to it. Anyone know what is wrong? I really don't want to get rid of this headset because its pretty new and it was $90. I've been trying to fix it forever. The problem was worse because of missing SYS files but I finally got it installed, but now theres a multimedia controller problem. :facewall:


EDIT: In the meantime I'm going to try and splice my 360 headset with a headphone plug-in and see if it works..

ok, so if your using a ac 97 audio controller, click "windows button + pause/break" then click Hardware, then device manager. remove the driver and also uninstall everything from add remove programs in your Control Panel. restart, then reinstall everything again. go to the sound effect option on your programs list thingy, buttom right of tool bar, and click it opening the Multi Channel Audio Configuration. now click the Connector Sensing Tab, then Options button and select "auto sense when connector status has changed"
That should do it
 
Last edited:
hes not on AC97 or realtek HD audio, his head set is USB and it comes with its own driver prebuilt in.

go to control panel > sound > make sure the default device is "USB Audio".
 
Well I did have the device selected under sound but it doesn't work. It's installed but the media audio controller is what is the problem and i have absolutely no idea what to do..

I also have a realtek audio. I'm going to try and uninstall and reinstall everything now.
 
Okay I reinstalled everything including the persono software that has the drivers for the headset. When I restarted the multimedia audio controller hardware installation came up and said that it could not find the files for installation. What multimedia audio controller would I need?
 
you dont need any multimedia audio controller. USB audio doesnt rely on realtek or any other piece of hardware to produce sound. all you need to do is install the drivers (if there are any) for your USB headset and then make sure you set the USB device as the default device. after you have done then try listening to music or using vent.
 
the audio controller is for your onboard sound, if your missing that your computer will not pick up you have any device needed to hear sound. what is the model of your pc? If it is a custom built pc you need to get the chipset drivers off your mobo's mfg website or if its amd/intel search there site for chipset drivers.

if its not custom its a hell of a lot easier
 
the audio controller is for your onboard sound, if your missing that your computer will not pick up you have any device needed to hear sound. what is the model of your pc? If it is a custom built pc you need to get the chipset drivers off your mobo's mfg website or if its amd/intel search there site for chipset drivers.

if its not custom its a hell of a lot easier
This should fix your problem. Just make sure to have the headphones unpluged first. if this doesnt work then uninstall all you updates on windows. then install your headset. Then install the windows updates agian. Or if you dont mind reinstalling windows agian just do that then before you update windows at all make sure to install the headphones. before you do any updates. They should work then. If they do then you can go ahead and install the windows updates.
 
So to do this I would just goto add/remove programs and select Windows Service Pack 3 for removal? I appreciate the help.

Oh and I did try downloading the original audio drivers from the company website but to no avail.

If this doesnt work I am going to have to reinstall the OS
 
Last edited:
Okay reinstalled XP and everything, the headset installed properly. BUT it still doesnt work, I'm so heated right now you don't even understand. PLANTRONICS is JUNK. Don't buy from them. I just ripped the whole mic apart and there are no frayed wires, disconnections, anything, so it's just plain crappy electronics. I don't know if I could still somehow use the mic and rig up my own headset by splicing some wires? Or use my 360 mic?

Thanks for the help though guys, I appreciate it.
 
i dont know if this helps

PerSono Audio Control Center
Plantronics has discontinued the audio management graphic equalizer software, PerSono. This product was integrated and shipped with a number of our DSP entertainment products in the past. The new line of Plantronics DSP entertainment headsets for the PC are not compatible with the legacy PerSono (Audio Control Centre) application. For questions on the use of the PerSono application and for those customers interested in obtaining a version of PerSono for use with headsets that support it please contact our customer support or you may download the software from our website.

http://www.plantronics.com/north_am...ownloads/license.jhtml?dl=PerSono_2_4_200.exe


this information was taken from this page
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/support/softwaredownloads/index.jhtml
 
Last edited:
This should fix your problem. Just make sure to have the headphones unpluged first. if this doesnt work then uninstall all you updates on windows. then install your headset. Then install the windows updates agian. Or if you dont mind reinstalling windows agian just do that then before you update windows at all make sure to install the headphones. before you do any updates. They should work then. If they do then you can go ahead and install the windows updates.


i think what hes also saying is that your USB 2.0 might not be installed properly or something. try plugging it into the back of your computer in the USB port? this sounds silly but try it anyways, as they may function separately from one another. 1.0 vs 2.0? Its possible that the set on the front may not function correctly for some reason. A hardware issue can also cause the yellow question mark under Hardware Devices, so the device your seeing "hardware could not be installed" could actually be your USB connection and not the headset which would make more sense. PM me if this works please.
 
Last edited:
Yeah I had persono from the beginning to get the headset installed but it was all a failure. I think the headset just turned to junk. Anyway I have a headset now, a friend gave me one he doesn't use anymore so it's all good. Thanks for the help man.
 
Back
Top