OS Updates on or off

i leave mine off but have it notify when thier are updates avaliable. Then i just choose the ones i want to update and ones i dont.
 
dieinpeace that is a good idea. it really is a matter of your choice tho.
 
Always keep it on. Micro$oft releases important security updates, and various bugfixes.
 
Turn them on.

Although, I just got Windows XP Service Pack 3 a week ago, even with Auto-Updates turned on. The update has been out for over a month. Strange.
 
ON, with notify when they are ready. Then you can start the install process manually. I like to wait a week or so after they come out to make sure they don't need a patch for the patch. heh
 
If your worried about your registry messing up, and locking you out of your computer, like me, then you leave them off.

But a sane person would leave them on for crucial updates. I've just had a bad experience. D:!
 
I would install service packs and then keep it on prompt only for new downloads and not automatically install those updates. Also, make sure you create a system restore point before you install windows updates as some windows updates have been known to cause BSODs.

-Blue
 
If your worried about your registry messing up, and locking you out of your computer, like me, then you leave them off.

But a sane person would leave them on for crucial updates. I've just had a bad experience. D:!


:) he he had this happen to me thats why i have mine off now.
 
I have them turned on. You never know with Microsuck.
 
it up to you chaos
if you can remember to check for updats (I recommend once a week) then turn them off.
if you think you will forget about them then turn auto updates on.
either way doesnt matter just as long as you are getting the updates released by microsoft!!

guys and gals please keep your opinion of microsoft to yourself
this doesn't need to turn into to a I hate Microsoft thread :)
 
Last edited:
I am surprised at how many people are not updating their computers with security patches in this thread. I **highly** recommend you do. Service packs are not enough.
 
off for the last 8 years or so (windows os in general).. will do updates occasionally assuming it is actually something relevant.

suppose it's whatever u deem as safe, secure and protected.. :)
 
Back
Top