Getting COD4 set up on steam

Gryphon Osiris

Active Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
329
So I purchased a box copy of CoD4 from Best buy the other day and trying to get it to interface with steam, but the only thing it does is list it as a non-steam game and put in a shortcut.

So my question is "Do you have to purchase it from steam in order for it to work with Steam?"
 
Yes. To have Steam handle it like it does with games like CS:S, TF2, etc, you would have to purchase it through the steam store.

Of course, this doesn't apply for Valve developed games, as when you enter your Serial Key from a retail box, it links it to your account.
 
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Some games can be purchased in the box and then registered in Steam. All Valve games can be registered. Games with a STEAMWORKS logo on the back of the box can also be registered.

When you put the shortcut into Steam, like you did, when you use that shortcut to start the game, you can still use the SHIFT-TAB overlay and you will show up as playing COD4 on Steam friends. However, you will have to patch the game manually.
 
So my question is "Do you have to purchase it from steam in order for it to work with Steam?"

You can't activate a retail copy of Call of Duty 4 on Steam.

You can still add a shortcut to My Games tab and then the Steam overlay will work.
 
Sadly, makes too much sense. I'm one of those old schoolers who prefers to have the DVD's in hand. Ah well. That links into my next questions, because I have a retail version does that mean that I cannot see the eGO servers?
 
As long as your on the 1.7 patch, you can play on eGO servers, regardless of your method of purchase
 
Some games are allowed to enter the code on steam, then it is steam-activated.
CoD4 is not one of those, I know Unreal Tournament is and also Company of Heroes I believe.
 
Back
Top