Travel Plug Adapter?

Mjolnir

Active Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
346
I am going overseas for my spring break (yes it's kinda late) and I plan to bring my laptop along with me. I have a few questions. I read somewhere that if I used a wrong adapter (wrong voltage) I can fry my laptop. How do I know which one to buy? My laptop charger says CONNECT ONLY TO GROUNDED OUTLET. It also says Input 100-240V ~ 2.4A(2,4A) and Output 19v - 4.74A(4,74A)

I also have a few questions about security procedures. Will the xray machines do any damage to my laptop? And if I come back to the US, do I need to prove that I got my laptop here to avoid a duty?
 
If its 100-240V input, then it can accept power from both US outlets (120V) and Europe/elsewhere (240V). Again, connect it only to a grounded outlet, should be three prongs, but I cant remember other standards for plugs, but it should be three prongs. All you will really need is the plug adapter since your power supply can accept 100-240V. In addition, if there is a switch somewhere (like on older larger computer power supplies) to switch between 120 and 240, make sure you have the correct voltage selected. Dont worry about the output, that is what your computer accepts, so nothing to do on that end.

About security, people travel with laptops through airports all the time, it will be fine. I dont know specifically, but i seriously doubt you will need to prove that you bought the laptop here.

Would help to know where you are going so that you can determine what type of plug you will need.
 
yeah you should be good to go with just plug adapter since most laptops can handle the voltage
 
Back
Top