- Joined
- Jul 9, 2008
- Messages
- 402
So I have been looking into upgrading my current desktop. I have a dell 530 that has a single PCIe1.1 slot. I was ok with just upgrading my GPU from my current 8600 gt to a much better GPU. In an earlier discussion We noticed that I needed to upgrade my CPU and my PSU. My memory can be upgraded also because I only have 2gigs. So I start looking to upgrading those three things. Once I started looking into those things I notice that I was pulling a CPU, PSU, RAM, and a graphics card from my current computer. I started to think that I could just get a cheap 775 motherboard and a cheap 7200 rpm harddrive and I can myself an extra system to so multitasking on as I am playing. I wasn't worried about the an OS because I have an old XP key from a computer that has a burnt out motherboard. I starting thinking about memory and how much memory XP can handle because it would have decided how cheap of a motherboard I would get. I found out that XP can handle 4 gigs of memory BUT that is 4 gig of total hardware memory. That accounts for GPU ram, any ammount of ram built on all of cards and stuff. I was fine with this because the card I was putting just has 256 mb of gpu ram and I was only putting 2 Gigs of ram. That makes it fine because I would be way under the minimum. But in my research for XP i find the memory specs for Vista. I find that Vista Home 32bit that I own also can only handle 4 Gigs of total hardware ram. This was a problem for my new build because I was leaning towards getting a 2 gig ram GPU.
So I come to the conclusion to just completely avoid the whole original problem with the pcie 1.1 slot and just started to look up 2.0 motherboards and do a built from the bottom computer. The price I was going to be spending goes up a little because of instead of getting a cheap motherboard I have to get a decent motherboard. I don't need a case because I have a enough cases in storage to build a server farm. But then I get back to the OS problem.
Before I get into the OS problem I just want to say that the last time I built a computer from scratch I was using Windows 98 and Windows M was the worst OS ever. So I never had to deal with 32 bit OS vs a 64 bit OS. Never had to worry about how much memory I should put on a board because of the OS.
Soo...
I look up an OS. I find windows vista but I only see 32 bit OS for retail. I can find plenty of OEM 64 bits windows that are a lot cheaper but come with no support.
So can I buy a 32 bit OS and get 64 off of it? If so, my current computer is 32bit, how do I upgrade it to 64 bit.
This crap just gives me a headache. This is why I stopped working on my own cars.
I will say one things, I priced out a computer on Ibuypower and compare prices with Newegg. End up spending about 60 to 70 dollars more to have Ibuypower build it and you get a 3 year warrants.
So I come to the conclusion to just completely avoid the whole original problem with the pcie 1.1 slot and just started to look up 2.0 motherboards and do a built from the bottom computer. The price I was going to be spending goes up a little because of instead of getting a cheap motherboard I have to get a decent motherboard. I don't need a case because I have a enough cases in storage to build a server farm. But then I get back to the OS problem.
Before I get into the OS problem I just want to say that the last time I built a computer from scratch I was using Windows 98 and Windows M was the worst OS ever. So I never had to deal with 32 bit OS vs a 64 bit OS. Never had to worry about how much memory I should put on a board because of the OS.
Soo...
I look up an OS. I find windows vista but I only see 32 bit OS for retail. I can find plenty of OEM 64 bits windows that are a lot cheaper but come with no support.
So can I buy a 32 bit OS and get 64 off of it? If so, my current computer is 32bit, how do I upgrade it to 64 bit.
This crap just gives me a headache. This is why I stopped working on my own cars.
I will say one things, I priced out a computer on Ibuypower and compare prices with Newegg. End up spending about 60 to 70 dollars more to have Ibuypower build it and you get a 3 year warrants.











