Any Tips on Improving as a Sniper?

The Law

Rookie
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
51
About a year ago, I was watching my first Sniper frag video, and decided to play Sniper as my primary class. I mean, what's more satisfying than hearing that "ping" and those fun little green letters pop up after pulling of a headshot? And after a few months of practice on Goldrush, Egypt, and 2fort, I was able to obtain the same level of shooting as in the player in the frag video, and my play-style more-or-less mimicked his (or her's) - find a good spot, put the cross-hair where you think your target's head is going to be, lead them into your shot, and fire. And it's worked for me on more open maps where the only real pressure a sniper will encounter are other snipers and spies (demomen and soldiers are a little too far away to pose any real threat, save a random, unnoticed crit-rocket). However, I run into some trouble when I get into closer quarter maps, like certain stages of Dustbowl, Well, and Turbine, where I'm usually only able to snipe defensively. Furthermore, if my target's movement was really unpredictable, and I couldn't get a good read on where he or she'd be next, I'd usually have a hard time pulling off a shot.
But recently, I watched a few newer sniper frag videos and found that these players don't just lead in their targets, their basically able to place their cross-hair on their opponent's head and fire away, no matter how fast they're moving (there were plenty of headshots against Scouts and Medics who were strafing pretty unpredictably). And while I found that I was able to pull off someof these shots when I'm at my best, I haven't found a good way of actively training this sort of response. So I'm just wondering if this sort of shooting is attainable, and if so, what is the best way of practicing to perfect these sorts of shots.
Also here's an example of the type of shooting I'm talking about: [ame="http://www.wegame.com/watch/TF2_AA_Sniper_Frag_Video/"]http://www.wegame.com/watch/TF2_AA_Sniper_Frag_Video/[/ame]
 
If you want to get good at sniper, contact Voided. Last time I checked he was still doing sniper classes. Go ahead and send him a PM wand wait for a response. Otherwise the best way to improve is through practice as with all classes.
 
Thanks a lot Zero. But I'm just wondering if there's a particular thing you would practice to get better at closer range and pulling off hard shots, or if certain aspects of the game just "come to you" as you play more.
 
I would say get practice on your twitch skills and find a good mouse sensitivity. Mine is set at about 15, I remember Voided's was at so that when he moved it about an inch he did 2 full rotations. Work all the weapons. Kukri for melee, SMG for when they get in close, otherwise he's called Sniper for a reason. Or you can just wait and see what the update brings.
 
Haha, indeed. As of now, I'm still trying to figure out how some snipers can use the Sniper Rifle at close range. I guess that's why I started this thread in the first place. I can do close range by mixing use of no-scopes, kukri, and the smg, but the main issue is that the smg does very little damage, and no-scopes deal 50 damage, but are slow. So if there's a way to learn how to pull of a headshot at closer ranges and less open maps, then a Sniper can be more effective in general.
 
I would say practise makes perfect is the best policy when trying to get better at sniper. My only other advice would be to play around with the sensitivity in mouse to what best fits the way you aim. Alot of really good snipers use high sensitvity as they get better. But i would start out with your mouse on a low sensitivity. If your having troubles with aim try lowering your mouses sensitivity.
 
Uh, AA (as you may know) is a clan from TFC which consists of people who have been playing as a sniper since... '99 I believe. Never set your goals too low so as to not improve at all, but wanting to immediately jump up to their skill level is a feat indeed.

To become better, you must get away from finding a cozy hole between two rocks and staying there. When your team moves, move with them (of couse behind a little) and try to see if you can take out the charging pyro before someone else does. Practice lining up the cross hairs with the enemy's head before you zoom in.

Learn how to quick scope. What I remember from VoiDed's sniper training class is that you're supposed to line up the shot (using custom cross-hair) then zoom in and fire. If you find yourself zooming in but the shot isn't lined up, zoom out and try again. Another tip is see your enemy before they see you, and maybe you will have time to charge a little before firing.

Hope this isn't info that you already know.
 
Seriously, just practice. Everyone starts off as a noob and the more you play, the better you get. You will make your own strategies as you learn the class and the game as a whole. Trust me.

All things are difficult before they are easy.
 
I'm quite good at sniper when it comes to knowing where to be, to keep moving, where to go, ect. But I can never line up that headshot!:angry:
 
I am not the absolute best at sniper but back when I was playing regularly (before laptop issue) I found that a low sensitivity and practice make the best way to train yourself....once you master the lower sensitivity bring it up gradually....if you find that when you brought it up it caused your kill rate to drop drastically then just bring that sensitivity back down.

But remember this.....

PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT

PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
 
Mine is set at about 15, I remember Voided's was at so that when he moved it about an inch he did 2 full rotations.

wtf hax. Mine's still set at about 2.8. I actually lowered it from the default.

But I'm completely used to twitch shots now, and I think everyone that plays BM can attest that I'm a fairly good sniper. xd Good for quickstabs, too. Too high of a sensitivity is too hard for me.
 
Keep moving, try to line up shots, scope in fast, pre-fire as much as you can.

I just got back into Sniper today and was doing fairly well, on 2fort that is. :)
 
Well it seems to me like the general consensus is "practice makes perfect". I think would would have to 100% agree with that...but you need to get a few things in order first. I have noticed that (this might sound a bit odd to some people) the position that i am sitting in highly affects my sniping. I seem to do much better when i am in a more "posture friendly" position then when i am just kindof sitting back in my chair relaxing. Also finding that perfect mouse sensitivity is crucial....and when you find it...stick with it because it's much more difficult to get into a groove when you keep messing with settings. Once you find a setting you like...practice.....a lot. When i want to practice sniping, i load up a Convoy map, simply because it's usually loaded with people running around being crazy, especially if all talk is on...because tactics are usually out the door when everyone can hear what you are saying.....SO that being said...find a good spot...get a headshot or 2...and move on to the next spot...rinse and repeat. If you already have the timing of "leading" people...then all it seems you really need to practice is the close quarter reflex...and that...like everyone has been preaching...comes with time. I am not claiming to be a great sniper...i feel that i can hold my own (except when Voided is on the server...then i just run into a hole and cry) But don't give up...it will come.
 
Thanks everyone for your help! I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind while practicing =).
 
This is how I snipe, and I'm pretty sure it's how everyone that can't quicksnipe does it.

1. Zoom in around general enemy location.
2. Wait for enemy head.
3. When enemy head comes, move crosshair across enemy head very quickly.
4. Fire when in approx. area of head.

For some reason, when you do this, even if you would have normally missed, the game will almost always register it as a headshot. Here's what I mean:

x_________O_____

^ crosshair ^ Soldier head

You want to sweep really quickly so you end up like this.

_____O_______x

^ Soldier head ^ Crosshair

And when they line up, like they're roughly on top of each other, just shoot. It's that simple.
 
Lol I don't do that I just follow the enemy until my crosshair is on his head and then I shoot(may take up to 5 minutes).:P
 

Latest posts

Back
Top