NVidia GeForce 3D Vision: 22" LCD vs 60" HDTV vs 73" HDTV

tyrant91101

Rookie
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
37
I bet lately many of you have heard of the NVidia 3D glasses. well so have I and I've heard everyone say how awesome they are so now I'm going to get them.

Question is, with what display device?

To use the 3D glasses you need a 120hz refresh rate on your display and god forbid you use a CRT for something so seemingly awesome. At the same time I want to get something bigger than just a 22" LCD as sold by Viewsonic and Samsung so I'm asking for everyone's opinion.

Note that me and my parents still watch the same TV we got when I was like 8 and had just moved to the US. It's at most like 30-40 inches and its a huge CRT (or the TV equivalent). As such I haven't paid attention much to the HDTV "revolution" and I probably have no clue what I'm talking about, but here are the three choices out of the TVs and monitors that NVidia currently acknowledges as working:

Note, each is progressively more expensive and at its a big consideration but not the end all. I can afford the most expensive of the bunch

22" LCD Monitor - 359$ + shipping + glasses: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...No=4486372&sku=V18-2265&srkey=viewsonic 120hz

Mitsubishi 60" HDTV - 1200$ + shipping + glasses: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...sp?EdpNo=3749849&sku=M402-6000&srkey=WD-60735

Mitsubishi 73" HDTV - 1800$ + shipping + glasses: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3923758&CatId=1830

Which of this should I get? I am obviously biased and want to get the 73" because its the biggest. Obviously graphics quality would get toned down but this purchase will surely be followed closely by a upgrade to dual/tri SLI (My current 8800GTX with 1/2 9800s)

Also, what are some of the things I should look for when buying TVs?
 
i usually like using my projector systems i have set up 80" viewing area :)
 
Not wroth the price and not compatable with most games. and plus,most people get headakes from it.
 
I work with 3d technology at work, and the headachese go away... its just eye strain from constantly shifting your focus.

Either way, to be honest, I dont know if this would work with a 120Hz TV. As I understand it (and I could be wrong) but even though these TV's display 120Hz, they only accept 60Hz, then interpolate the missing frames, so I do not think they are true 120Hz displays in that sense.

I have heard good things about the new 22" 120Hz LCD Monitors, but they are expensive, and dont have the best color reproduction. Supposedly they are very fast, but again, I would be slightly skeptical about the 3d tech. Im sure it works, and Im sure its cool.... but the question is whether its going to be more of a gimmick or not.
 
i used a pair of 3d glasses a long time ago with some racing game and rott (rise of the triad) unless the glasses are compatible with every game i say it isn't worth it.
 
I work with 3d technology at work, and the headachese go away... its just eye strain from constantly shifting your focus.

Either way, to be honest, I dont know if this would work with a 120Hz TV. As I understand it (and I could be wrong) but even though these TV's display 120Hz, they only accept 60Hz, then interpolate the missing frames, so I do not think they are true 120Hz displays in that sense.

I have heard good things about the new 22" 120Hz LCD Monitors, but they are expensive, and dont have the best color reproduction. Supposedly they are very fast, but again, I would be slightly skeptical about the 3d tech. Im sure it works, and Im sure its cool.... but the question is whether its going to be more of a gimmick or not.

The TVs I am looking at are listed under support devices on the NVidia Gefore 3D Vision page.

Also, a list of support games can be found here (Crysis, WoW, most other new major games are supported, and Tf2 is listed under "excellent" support along with the Half Life 2 series): http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

I've been looking around at the various Tvs supported and I'm starting to think that the 1800$ or 1200$ TVs really aren't worth it since I would use them strictly for gaming. I guess I'll be getting the monitor, even with just a 22" it will be cool.
 
Ahhh sorry, I believe I was thinking specifically about 120Hz LCD TV's.... guess the DLP displays can actually handle 120Hz input. (Again, i still might be wrong).

Either way, good luck with your purchase!
 
Back
Top