I doubt it. Either way though I'm looking forward to the update. Do I want free updates to keep the game exciting and new? To quote the engineer...
Engineer said:
There seems to have been a pattern towards all the updates.
First, Valve announces a new update is coming out. People speculate what will happen and what the weapons will be. People complain about how unbalanced the fake weapons will make the game and they didn't pay so they could get stupid new weapons added. New weapons come out and the majority of people like them. The others complain about the weapon being unbalanced because 90% of players are playing that class. A few weeks go by and people stop complaining and go back to having fun.
Although, this is a *POTENTIALLY* huge update, there's nothing to really be worried about. Valve has always stressed fair and balanced teams and all of the updates have proven so with the new weapon releases. Some might say the Sandman is unfair, unbalanced, and stupid. But I find it much easier to kill scouts since they can't evade me with the double jump. Some might say now that spies can replenish their cloak with ammo is unfair. But honestly, they're still one of the easiest classes to kill. Who runs away from a spy? And just because they added all that fancy code hinting at Hats, buffs, and new "special" items/weapons doesn't mean they will all be released at once. Maybe they released the code so they can test out the new weapons on their testing servers and release them gradually over time.
That's just my thoughts though. Maybe I'll be surprised and the people who release TF2 content will, for some reason, release updates that will potentially destroy the game and cause every player to quit and complain on the forums. Maybe they'll release everything at once and it could be really exciting gameplay. I guess we'll have to see (probably in a few months - Valve time). Let the speculation and complaining continue!