Canon Vixia HV30 vs Sony HDR HC9

FreakingHell

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
2,181
Having a bit of a dilemma choosing a good high def camcorder..Anyone have any input? Pros and cons? Personal experience? Alternate suggestions? Both fit my budget well so don't factor in price.
 
I use Canon a lot, and like it. Link the products on the manufacturer page and i will look at them. But just from the name the HDR has a built in HD whereas the HV might use a tape or DVD. Also not sure how new those are. Try and get something current.
 
The Canon HV40:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=17996

It's not out yet, and if I end up waiting I'll probably get it. The only difference between it and the HV30 is that it records straight to 24p cinematic mode whereas the HV30 you have to mark down to 24p from 60i. Oh, and a customizable button, lol. Yes it does record to tapes.

The Sony HDR HC9:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665842112

No, it is not a hard drive. it is also tapes. I personally love tapes and would never get a hard drive camcorder.

Edit: Oh, I will be using it mostly for some small cinematic projects, sporting events, and nature shots. Low light shots would be nice.
 
Last edited:
I do video editing and video photo journalism and i would say the canon is the way to go, sony tends to be more closed, the sony cameras record and play at different speeds then most cameras and usually require you to buy there products to use your camera, if you want to take photos on the camera you will need to get sonys brand of a SD card. Also certain dv tapes will not work in sonys. If i were you i would get a hard drive camera, the tape mechanisms on the minidv cameras tend to be fragile and break easily and once there broken it would cost $100-$300 to repair. I have both a sony PD-170 and and a Canon DM-XL2 and i like the canon better because with the sony if i record anything on it, i wont be able to play it on any other camera and i wont be able play any other cameras video on the sony because o the different head speeds. The tape mechanism on my sony pd-170 broke once in its 4 year life span and it cost $157 to repair, granted the camera cost $1700 so it was worth the repair, but the tape mechanism is the same in a $200 camera and a $1700 camera so it may not be worth it for you if yours breaks. I use mostly minidv and i do get what your saying about tapes, but a soon as the two of my minidv cameras break i will be getting a hard drive. Hope this helps. So i would say get the Canon if your hardbent on getting a minidv camera.
 
Ya, go with the canon. Plus i would get it just for the 24p shooting mode. You will have much more control with the canon.
 
Back
Top