Multi-core gaming story.

ok, i just read the WHOLE thing (a first for any article for me)

GREAT INFORMATION. i loved the whole article, it was great. alot of knowledge was put into my brain because of that and now, i can tell people the difference :D

Thanks for the great article :)
 
read most of the artcile very informative thanks for the link. For you guys that have ADD ( See Above) this article has plenty of pictures so you should have no trouble getting through it.
 
Good article. One thing they didn't mention was how a quad core processor like an i7 or phenom II with two cores disabled would compare to a C2D or a 64 X2. I am wondering if the new chips would perform any better due to the newer manufacturing or not.

The article compares a quad core to a dual core version of itself, but none of us would ever make that comparison, because we compare the quad core to other chips that are dual core. I'd like to see benchmarks of that Q6600 at 2.7 to a C2D E6600 or E4600 at 2.7 as well. Then we could really see if there is a difference in how the quad compares to the dual.
 
Yep. For gaming, a quad-core isn't much better than a dual core. Knowing this, I still bought a quad and will be upgrading my quad to a faster one this summer. I like to have the extra horsepower around for when I want to use virtual OSs and HD screencapture of my games. + you get bragging rights, imo. However, when I'm doing a build for a client, I almost always use dual cores, because most non-geeks will never use the 3rd and 4th cores.
 
Hmm. Those results seem promising. A quad core would be best for me. I'm starting to do 3D modeling and quad core is excellent for rendering :D.
 
thanks for posting this, discovered that my quad core CPU has been running in single core mode since I got it...application performance sure is a lot better now lol
 
thanks for posting this, discovered that my quad core CPU has been running in single core mode since I got it...application performance sure is a lot better now lol

That's just..... :bored:
 
I'll stick with my AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition OC'ed to 3.0 GHz for now, wait for more games use quads then I'll switch.
 
ah i still need the quad becuase i use a lot of virtual machines at once
 
thanks for posting this, discovered that my quad core CPU has been running in single core mode since I got it...application performance sure is a lot better now lol

I kind of LOLed to this. But it is good to know that you can check the cores and make sure it is using all Cores.
 
thanks for posting this, discovered that my quad core CPU has been running in single core mode since I got it...application performance sure is a lot better now lol

..... ahh....... yeah...... how do you....... :mellow: :huh: :blink:
 
Last edited:
Well, the reason a quad-core doesn't help you too much is because games don't have support for quadcore. Heck, not all games even have support for DUAL-core. However, it does NOT mean that quad-cores are not good for anything that a dual-core could do, quad-cores are TWICE as fast as duals when doing something that is computationally intensive and supports 4 cores. For example, 3d rendering software like Maya can use all 4 cores, so the final picture actually shows up starting from 4 different corners.
 
I am quite happy to learn that triple-cores are just as effective at gaming as quad cores. I decided I wouldn't drop the additional money to get a quad (mainly because I didn't have it lol) and it seems taht this decision was a good one :)
 
Back
Top