New GPU

Jimmeh

Famous
Joined
Dec 6, 2008
Messages
511
I have been getting horrible FPS on all source games lately I don't know what the problem is, I used to atleast get 40 - 60 fps, but recently i have barely been scraping 20. I have decided I am going to plop down the cash to get a new Video Card. And since it seems we have many experts on the field of computer building I thought I would ask your opinions. I am looking for a mid - high range Graphics card as an upgrade from my outdated Radeo HD 3200. I have a budget of around $175. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be great.

P.S. I am Canadian so a site that uses Canadian dollars would be a good help :)
 
What is the rest of your build? CPU, PSU, Ram etc etc, no need to get a huge card if you will bottleneck it terribly.. or if your psu cant power it up :/
 
Go with XFX instead: XFX HD 4850 ($171) - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150348

Their lifetime limited warranty alone is a good enough reason to choose them over other manufacturers.

You'll also need a PSU with around 16-20A on the 12v rails though. So open the PC case and check if the PSU has a sticker with the voltages printed on the side.
 
Last edited:
First off, I'd recommend you buy from DirectCanada. Tigerdirect and Newegg offer ridiculous shipping prices to canada.

As for the card, you could try the ATI 4770:
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12030BD4201&vpn=H477F512P&manufacture=HIS

Or perhaps the Nvidia GTS 250 (9800 GTX+):
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11610BD0389&vpn=512-P3-1151-TR&manufacture=EVGA

Even the ATI 4850:
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15180BD8584&vpn=HD485XYDFC&manufacture=XFX

All of those will get you tremendously better performance as compared to your current card and will be able to run any Source game easily. Personally I'd go for the 4770.
 
yeah. the 4770 will give you good performance for the price you get.

With any computer part (graphics cards here), the number 1 thing to remember is, "as long as your CPU and PSU everything else can handle it, the more expensive the item, the better the performance."
 
Alright thanks for your input.. I just ordered the 4770 and a 700w Power Supply.
 
You won't need a 700W PSU, even with Crossfire, a 600W PSU could handle two of those cards.
Great choice on the video card, that's what I'm getting sometime this week.
 
the 700W was the same price as the 500w so.. i decided I'd go for 700 just in case :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top