Good Griefing

I would say this:

Griefing can me made into an artform. That is, a person can really invest their time and creativity into griefing. This involves tormenting people in subtle ways that can in the end be more insidious. I don't think that griefing necessarily has anything other than the destruction of the other person at its goal, but that doesnt stop it from being art. It just is art that hurts people.
 
I don't see it as much of an art more then I do a tool to use against someone who has taken something too seriously or is mean spirited and therefore karma works her magic. But that is to a certain extent, because too me when crossing that line to go griefing, you are doing (hypocritically) the same thing those who took it too seriously were telling/doing to you in the first place.

It is fun to see to get a quick laugh here and there though. linkez!
[WARNING!! EXTREME LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!]
If this isn't allowed please just remove the url O: and sorryz in advance
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ[/ame]
 
Last edited:
I can see how frustrating that would be as a victim but from "outside the circle" its hilarious!
 
This is an interesting issue of The Escapist magazine. I'm not sure that I agree with all the "griefing is art" nonsense in it, but it's worth a read.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/features/issue/200

Sure some people might find it funny, but griefing is certainly NOT art. I think the advisors and DLs will agree. I have ZERO patience for someone whos only motivation is detract from someone elses ability to have fun and play a game.

I don't see it as much of an art more then I do a tool to use against someone who has taken something too seriously or is mean spirited and therefore karma works her magic. But that is to a certain extent, because too me when crossing that line to go griefing, you are doing (hypocritically) the same thing those who took it too seriously were telling/doing to you in the first place.
Exactly, but I dont think it should be a "tool" either. The solution to the problem is not to turn around and do the same thing back to a person in return. I for one will give a swift boot out of the server for this kind of behavior in fellow eGOs. They should already know better.
 
I do enjoy team roomba's vids, but are any of them on our ban list?

They are not listed in any of the current stickies that I can find, so I would just say to keep a close eye on them and alert a G or an O if they start causing problems.
 
Last edited:
Flippy, dont post unless you play!! YOURE PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS MAN!!!

In other news, griefing is fun to do alone. It ruins other's experiences when you get in a wall and kill everybody. :/
 
There's no such thing as "good" griefing. If you do something with the only purpose being to annoy or harass people, you're an idiot.

You could say anything is "art".

Art (Some of it):

# the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art"
# the creation of beautiful or significant things; "art does not need to be innovative to be good"; "I was never any good at art"; "he said that architecture is the art of wasting space beautifully"
# a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation; "the art of conversation"; "it's quite an art"
# artwork: photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication; "the publisher was responsible for all the artwork in the book"
 
Last edited:
They are not listed in any of the current stickies that I can find, so I would just say to keep a close eye on them and alert a G or an O if they start causing problems.
I think Team Roomba have split after "FLOOR_MASTER" passed away. Go on their site, i dont think you can go on any page without seeing the poem dedicated to him.
 
I've never come across griefing, but i can bet it gets annoying as hell.
With regards to calling it an 'art' i guess it's the same case as graffiti; some think it's an art, others just see it as vandalism. I'd say im more of the latter myself, but each to their own.

Like Tee Hee Hee said, looking at it it seems hilarious from our view. Glad that atleast on the eGO servers you can be sure it doesn't become a big issue.
 
Greifing is never good, it may be funny to watch but not at all cool in game.

Hm, that is pretty sad I didn't know the person in TEAM ROOMBA that died was only 13 o.0
 
Anyone else getting images of Charlie Brown playing TF2 running through their minds?
 
semi-off topic

I don't think FLOOR_MASTER is actually dead. I have more than one reason for believing this. But the only evidence I have to back me up is the link below. The supposed death occurred sometime in September or October I believe, and posts by him can be found in thread at said link as late as 12/30/08. This by no means confirms that the claim is fake however. If he is in fact dead, than my regards go out to his family.

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4031&page=3
 
While it is frustrating to be on the receiving end of the griefing, it still tells us to just step back and have a laugh.

We have so many worries in our life that to worry about a game is simply ridiculous.

Hell, I worried so much about the SOLs that a teacher walked up to me and gave me a coaster that says "No Worries." Just as a message to take a chill pill and enjoy life while you have it.
 
While it is frustrating to be on the receiving end of the griefing, it still tells us to just step back and have a laugh.

Yes that is true, but is purposely aggravating someone to the point that they burst into anger the right way to go about showing someone that the game is being taken too seriously? Would you burn down someone's house to show them that they care too much about it? Extreme example, but same rationale.
 
I wouldn't have minded being on the receiving end for the TF2 trivia bits. That would be some good for fun and laughs.
 
Griefing is always griefing, and FLOOR_MASTER is not dead.

There's no good justification to griefing, at all. That's like saying that I suck at a game, so that gives me the right to hack. It doesn't fly, and I'm sure upper leadership agrees.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top